I think Jenga has started plucking :(

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
I've had Jenga for almost 5 months. She came to me from a rescue where she was quite obviously terrified the whole time she was there. Her owner rehomed her due to an illness in the family and her feathers were very over preened at the time.

She's always kind of overpreened but now I think she has started plucking. Her chest has some bare spots on it and I've been finding a lot of feathers around her cage. I don't want to discourage her every time she touches her chest because she does need to preen them, but I need to keep her from getting carried away.

Naturally, keeping busy would be a good solution for this - but she would rather preen than play, she gets so bored so easily.

She did just win a cage makeover and we revamped her cage. I think she is still adjusting to this change but has played with some of the new toys.

I know this is a very common request with a variety and no correct answer but have any of you ever caught plucking early enough to be able to stop it? I feel like a terrible mother - like I'm failing her :(

Oh, also, she eats ZuPreem pellets and some seeds / nuts / fresh foods.

Thank you so much in advance!

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
have you tried preening toys since she likes to preen so much? i have little experience with habitual pluckers, i have a hormonal plucker... she plucks when she sits on eggs but no other time, so situation is different than yours...

Most Reactions

Latest posts