I think this CAG was made for me

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I've wanted a CAG since before we ever considered getting birds. There's just always been something about them that appealed to me.

The breeder we got Jade from has wonderful birds and some amazing CAGs. Her last 2 clutches were "spoken for" as soon as they hatched, so I missed out on them. My wonderful husband called yesterday to see when her next clutch was "due" and we found out that the youngest baby was now available because he "wasn't perfect". This baby was parent-raise but would probably lose the back toes on both feet due to constricted toes. We've had so much rain this spring that she didn't even suspect this would be an issue. She has pulled him from the parents' nest and put him in the incubator. She's going to make sure that he doesn't have any other health issues, but if he doesn't or they're minor...he's ours!

Actually, "he" in non-gender specific as there hasn't been a DNA test yet due to his young age - I just can't seem to bring myself to call any animal "it".

A little family background that I haven't shared before, our youngest son is mildly autistic - so our family is very understanding about special needs. In fact, special needs is our "normal".

I'm trying not to get excited but he sounds perfect! Now I'll eventually have to break the news to Max! :eek:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
You have a heart of gold HRH DI....
Not many people would consider taking the bird.
As you know we are not all perfect ....
BUT you are perfect for the bird and visa-versa
Max will understand hopefully and they will get along just fine.
Wish you luck

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Very good of you to take in a special needs bird. I imagine you need to do some research to see what kind of perches would be needed and a vet visit. Gook luck

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
HRH, how sweet of you to take in a bird like that. You may have saved him from a very long wait for a family.

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
I have a 1 year old CAG that only has 1 toe, all the rest are just nubs. He learned to adapt very quickly and with some cage modifications, he is doing beautifully. Good luck with your baby.

Dan

Jan 23, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Jade - RFM
Max - Alexandrine (HRH Di)
Ruby - CAG (HRH Di)
If all goes according to plan, we will start visiting our new family member in a couple weeks. It's a bit of a drive to the breeders, but we firmly believe that by visiting every weekend we can start building bonds now that will make the transition to home easier.

RM, I'd be interested in hearing what kind of accomdations you made.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Thanks, everyone. Today I'm thinking that I'm a terrible bird mother, and after what happened this morning, I don't deserve this special little guy.

I accidentally closed Jade's right foot in a door! We're pretty positive that nothing's broken since she's using it to perch and putting weight on it. But I scraped some of the skin off of the top of one of her front toes. There was no blood but it looks like a skinned knee. I feel just terrible. It's been about 7 hrs since it happened and it sems to be stiffening up a bit, and she's favoring it, but still using it. She lets us touch it and doesn't cry, but when she was put on her perch a few minutes ago, she cried a bit.

Please tell me I'm not a horrible person!

Dan

Jan 23, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Jade - RFM
Ruby - CAG (HRH Di)
Your not a horrible person and Jade knows it wasn't on purpose. If you are still feeling guilty, she would probably let you make it up to her with almonds or cantaloupe.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Okay, Ms. Jade's injury is just about healed up, so I guess I'm good to get the CAG.

We got an update from the breeder, and he's lost all 4 of his back toes and has been doing much better since that happened. She's sent the sample off for DNA testing so we'll soon know if we'll have an Oscar or a Ruby. Those are the 2 names that I've settled on pending sex identification...unless another name just "comes" to me when we meet the first time. Which will be this weekend!

MisterBiscuits

Apr 12, 2010
Miami
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Male Vosmaeri Eclectus, Queen of Bavaria Conures, Blue & Gold Macaw, White Bellied Caique, Blue-Mutation Quaker, Yellow Nape Amazon, 2 Doves, 9 Parakeets
We've both taken in and had special needs birds hatched to us, and have always been delighted with the choice. So you are to be commended for your decision! The world needs more open hearts and minds.

Dan

Jan 23, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Jade - RFM
Ruby - CAG (HRH Di)
We are waiting for photos please when you can do this.

The breeder said she would send pics either tonight or tomorrow so we should have current pics up by tomorrow night. We will also start visiting him or her every weekend until he comes home so be careful what you ask for.... :D

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
and here they are...

BabyGrey.jpg

BabyGrey2.jpg

Very young baby...still looks kinda like a baby dinosaur.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
It's a Girl!

We got to meet the new baby today and found out that it's a girl! So her name is Ruby.

She's adorable. Since she lost her back toes on each foot, the breeder said that she's been doing much better. She eating well and starting to get her feathers. Her legs are strong and she was alert.

Here are a couple pics...
Rubyapr17d.jpg

and another
P4Rubyapr17k.jpg

Most Reactions