I want another bird

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
I have been beating myself up for days over this. But it's not going away. I want another bird. I have the money I have the time for goodness sake I even got the cage. Plus I have my family's backing. So what holding me up? I'm worried I won't pick the right one for us. All my years handling birds I still feel like a beginner. I know it's to be a mid size bird and that's about it. Also family friendly. I seen to be having so much trouble picking one over the other there is so many wonderful bird to pick from. What do I want from a bird? Friendliness. I don't care if it talk or does tricks or even if it's fancy coloured. Just a nice friendly bird that is willing to put up with an old lady who problery out talk it anyway. I love all my pets birds, cats, dogs even the silly gold fish that spits water at me everytime I feed him. I know I have room in my life for one more. But what kind? The only thing I am sure of I want to find it local if I can I don't like the idea of shipping one in.:confused:

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
Eclectus' are great. Although mine isn't very "cuddly" he is happy to sit on your shoulder and actually prefers my shoulder to anything else in the house. (won't sit on the top of his cage, if he sees me he flies to me) But he doesn't really like you stroking him or tickling him. He lets you tickle under his wings but not for long. He just prefers to hang out with you. He chatters away all the time, "Hello" "What ya doing?" lots of whistle combinations. He only screams when its feeding time, giving me my orders for food. LOL

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Please check your local rescues for homless birds and go see them if you can. One of them will strike your fancy I am sure.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I agree with checking local rescues first & if you find one, try to interact as much as possible before adopting to gauge compatibility with you. If you go thru a breeder try to choose one close to you that is willing to let you visit during weaning, from personal experience, this makes a HUGE difference in bonding with a new bird. As far as breeds, I can't really help as I'm partial to the bigger ones, you probably want one similar in size to what you have now. Regardless, best of luck to you in your search!! :)

OP
D

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
Thanks everyone. Been on the phone all morning out of 3 local rescue place which I'm a member of two no one has mid to large birds. Which is a good thing for the birds not for me lol. Call as fare as Dallas TX still not what would be right for me. One place said I do not fit their idea for adoption because I have dogs and cats. On place didn't mind the cats and dogs it was my son they had problems with. Which P... Me right off. Yes he has Down sydrome but that does not mean he is curl to animals. One place said I had to many pets already. So started calling local breeder many I know most have there bird taken for the year. One did have a B&G macaw but I think as much as I love them that's to big for me. So going to start looking for breeder that are with in driving distance.
How fare is ok to drive back with a bird? 3-4 hours in a car seems a long way for a bird in a travel carrier. I'm thinking African gray, or eclectus but there are others I like as well (I like them all that's the problem)
Thank you all for your help

marxxx

Jun 11, 2012
I feel your pain as far as rescues go. We have been working with dog rescues for years. They can be very difficult when adopting out animals. Personally I think they make it to difficult for people to adopt them - thus forcing people to buy from breeders (some reputable and some not). While the system isn't perfect, a lot of animals do get helped (I just think a lot more animals could benefit if they were so difficult).

That being said, there are lots of potential types of birds that fit your requirements. It may be best to visit a couple breeders and see which bird fits. Sometimes the bird really does pick you!

The only thing I can say about greys (no I don't own one) is that most of the ones I have met were not really affectionate birds. They were typically great companions in the home (talking, entertaining and interacting with the family) but not really affectionate animals, and most of them were a bit aloof around strangers.

Lastly, 4-6 hours in a cage is stressful, but very manageable. That is way better than a plane ride for a bird. They get stressed, but you can control the noise level, temperature, and make sure they have munchies and water breaks. I would say anything you can comfortably drive in a day is fine with the proper carrier and supplies.

Best of luck with your search. I am sure you will find the right bird.

Mark

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
4 out of 5 of our birds had to go thru a 4+ hour drive from breeder to home with no ill affects at all. Just make sure they have food and water at all times and air conditioning considering your location and time of year. As far as Grey's go, I believe they are a pretty "dusty" bird so keep that in mind too. Just make sure the travel carrier is big enough & be sure to put a perch & food and water bowls FIRMLY attached (screwed to the sides) in there for the bird. I've got 3-4 carriers now set up like that but no pics of them.

OP
D

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
Thanks I'm still looking. I'm not very good at waiting but going to try to not rush in to it. I know the right bird will find me some how. And my kids playing jokes on me some one copied parrot photos and hung them in the cage. Lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts