I wonder if something is off with my GCC..

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
So, I have 3 conures, 1 GCC and 2 Suns. I have had them all since babies for years now, but the more I read about GCC personalities, the more I wonder if something is wrong with Pickles (my GCC).

She is super quiet, never really "playful", never demanding. The Suns are just the opposite. At first (prior to reading so many posts on this forum) I thought that this was just her, and that is probably what it is. But now I am worrying that I am doing something wrong by not encouraging her to play. She has a lot of different toys but really never uses them (I switch them up on a regular basis). She loves to ride along with me and have her whole body groomed, on my shoulder she is at her happiest.

My Suns wrestle with me, destroy toys at the speed of light and are generally the monsters that conures are. But not Pickles.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I just feel sad that she never really plays.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Unless this is a change in her personality, since you say you've had her for years, I wouldn't really worry. Not all birds "fit the mold" when it comes to their species. My GCC, Brad, isn't too big on being constantly on the go or cuddling. He is usually content to sit on my shoulder while I do things around the house. He will chew on toys on occasion, but leaves them alone for the most part. He will occasionally let me scratch his head, but I think my ekkies are more affectionate.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots are like kids. You can make generalities, but none tick off every box. Unless there has been a sudden change, she just might be one of the GCC's that doesn't fit the 'profile' for that species. Max, my departed yellow wing or canary wing parrot was supposedly known as the 'pocket' parrot because of their love of burrowing. LOL, you try that with Max, and some meat would have been missing from your finger. Salty's species is not known as great speakers, but he does just fine. Some Grey's never utter a word, despite the reputation for being masters at talking. Try different kinds of toys with Pickles, like a bell or a soft wood toy, like balsa. Try engaging with her with a toy, play tug of war, maybe she will continue to play with it.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My GCC is sweet like yours...theres times we wrestle and roughhouse but he's usually content just being with me. Also a GCC is smaller usually than a Sun Conure he might feel like a kid brother to the larger two.

If he's happy on your shoulder, then HE'S HAPPY ON YOUR SHOULDER. He's happy. if there are no other symptoms like feather plucking or etc. then just let him be with you, it's really all he wants.

Most Reactions