ice cream

suncon1

Aug 23, 2014
My Sunday conure loves ice cream. Does yours? (Only given little tastes but wants to ear a lot lot more!)

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
I'll let SHeldon have a little taste of ice cream occasionally. But he gets a bit carried away and aggressive sometimes, so we limit the extras

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I was under the impression parrots can't digest dairy so mine get none.

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
Harleys vet said some dairy is good. Vet recommend cheese because of the protein.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Parrots shouldn't consume large amounts of dairy, but a couple licks isn't going to hurt your bird. Keep it at a couple licks though:) Most birds become ravenous dairy fiends the moment they taste it and will eat ungodly amounts that may very well be harmful if allowed. My mom's birds are all healthy, in their 40's and all consume the occasional bit of dairy (be it cheese, yogurt, a piece of cereal that was in milk, ice cream ext....). There are FAR more 'dangerous' things to feed a bird besides a bit of dairy once in a blue moon. Just use common sense and don't overdo it since it is not a natural food source.

Our old vet actually suggested giving (a little) yogurt every day while Kiwi was on heavy antibiotics to help with the stomach upset. He made it through 2 rounds of antibiotics with minimal weight loss and diarrhea, plus recovered fully from his infection and has been in perfect health since.

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
Oh god. My birds would eat ALL the cheese if they could. I give them a WEE bit from time to time and it doesn't seem to give them any issues.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I 'used' to think a little dairy would be all right. My Hunter had a recurring Xanthoma on her third eyelid. It was removed a total of 4 times, but kept growing back.

I extensively researched Xanthomas, and stopped giving her (and the rest of the flock) cheese. They all LOOOOOVE cheese, too. The Xanthoma hasn't returned in over 2 years now. :)

....just food for thought....

Tumors - Xanthomas in Birds | VCA Animal Hospitals

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't give mine ice cream, but I do give them the occasional piece of frozen juice bars, and I do give them the occasional licks of orange/rainbow sherbert.

Sherbert doesn't have the lactose in it. It is, however, high in sugar. So, an occasional taster spoon on hot days is about the most we go...

We also freeze juice on a popsicle stick in an ice cube tray, and give them those as well... Those are outside in the tree things, to save the drippy sticky messes.

Mine get very limited amounts of cheese. It's an occasional treat. Not an every day thing.

Most Reactions