Ideal Leopard Gecko Diets, Based on Zoo & Field Research

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iā€™m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
[FONT=&quot]What DO Leopard Geckos Eat?! The Leopard Gecko, Eublepharis macularius, makes a wonderful pet for novices and advanced hobbyists alike (even after many years as a professional zookeeper, I enjoy keeping them, and wrote a book about their care). However, both sellers and buyers sometimes underestimate this delightful lizardā€™s needs, especially where feeding is concerned. Contrary to popular belief, vitamin-powdered crickets and mealworms do not constitute a suitable diet! If you wish your pet to live out its potential lifespan of 20-30 years in excellent health, youā€™ll need to provide it with as many different foods as possible. Fortunately, a surprising array of insects can be purchased online and in stores. Collecting and rearing your own insects is another excellent way to add to your geckoā€™s quality of lifeā€¦and its great fun as well! [/FONT]Read the rest of this article here What Do Leopard Geckos Eat? - Zoo Researched Diet | That Reptile Blog[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

NiRD

Feb 12, 2014
United States
Great post! I love reading articles that stress a varied diet. Our educational program has a leopard gecko. He eats dubia roaches, crickets, meal worms, and his favorite- horned worms!

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Great post! I love reading articles that stress a varied diet. Our educational program has a leopard gecko. He eats dubia roaches, crickets, meal worms, and his favorite- horned worms!

Good to hear, thanks! Odd that this aspect is so often overlooked, especially given all tha advances in herp care etc that we now have.

Pardon me if obvious, but please bear in mind that MW have been implicated in intestinal blockages in many species; best to stay with newly-molted grubs only, or avoid entirely, best frank

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Great article as usual! I too am happy to hear that varied diet is being stressed. My Leo is 18 y/o, and his diet has always been "gut loaded" crickets, waxworms (not frequently) and any bug we can find around. He is especially fond of those big green "leaf" bugs and grasshoppers in the summer, as well as those big black crickets that get inside during the winter.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Great article as usual! I too am happy to hear that varied diet is being stressed. My Leo is 18 y/o, and his diet has always been "gut loaded" crickets, waxworms (not frequently) and any bug we can find around. He is especially fond of those big green "leaf" bugs and grasshoppers in the summer, as well as those big black crickets that get inside during the winter.

Much appreciated!..and thanks as always for the useful feedback; nice age- shows the importance; even casual collection, here and there in warm months, makes a real difference over the course of an animal's life; keep it up! Best., Frank

Most Reactions

Latest posts