Ideas on how to make my bird eat Fresh Oregano and Dried Cloves?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hi guys,

This question sort of sprung up from a Giardia thread. I didn't want to derail the discussion anymore than I already have, so I'm making a new thread. Oregano and cloves are some of the natural combatants to Giardia. I want to take preventative measures to keep that scary parasite away.

Unfortunately, my conure does not care for fresh or dried oregano. He thinks cloves are poison. I've tried to put dried oregano on warm white rice (his favorite), to no avail. I've tried munching on a fresh oregano sprig to entice him but he is not buying it.

Any ideas on how I can get him to eat these things?

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
PS. How about putting garlic in drinking water? I heard people do it for chickens and that it is good for them. Garlic is also anti-giardia among other things... but won't leaving it in water encourage bacterial growth?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
If they could be baked, then maybe bake them in bird-bread? That's if the components that prevent the parasite aren't destroyed by heat. Lol! Keep trying with the oregano, I usually have to hang new greens in there multiple times before they sample. And it always helps to wet the leaves (distilled water if you're worried about germs). Clip it high up so it can't get crapped on, and high is more enticing. Mine took a few bites today, so I'm hopeful. My budgies wouldn't touch it, and they're a bit pissed at me for giving Nika lots of attention!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Boomer, Kalidasa's birdy bread idea would be a good one to try, just don't fill it with with a lot of juicy things...make it a bit drier & it won't have to bake as long.....maybe an extra egg would help solidify things faster.....if Boomer doesn't like it, you can prevent giardia infestation in yourself.....

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Hmm I'm afraid I don't bake. Thats like advanced physics for me. Plus I think I read somewhere that cooking oregano does remove the giardia-fighting properties. The same is true with garlic. Ill keep it as a last resort if all else fails though.

Ill just keep hanging the oregano sprigs in his cage. Maybe he will change his mind about it.

If I'm really desperate, ill coat raisins in dried oregano. Raisin is bad for him because of the sugars but it will serve a higher purpose here. He can't refuse raisins.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
You want me to check with all those attorneys down in Atlanta...the ones defending all those teachers & administrators charged with grade fixing.....your justification analyses might get you a job.....

Got no friends you could talk into trying a batch ? ? ?

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
I don't think anyone in California bakes lol!

I think boomer just ate off a leaf just this morning so might have a mini break through :)

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
One more question for those who know:

In my research last night, i read that Garlic is supposed to be an excellent remedy against giardia, worms and mites. It is safe in moderation. If I put a clove of garlic in the drinking bowl, will it propagate bacteria in the drinking water?

Last edited:

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Hey boomer! Not sure about garlic water, but I do know that garlic contains anti microbial properties, as well as anti fungal and even anti viral. So if I were to guess, I'd say that it would be ok. But again, that's just a guess. Nika ate a whole sprig this morning to my surprise, I acted like I was eating it, then when she reached for it I acted like she can't have it. Of course, she had a fit until I gave it to her.....I guess forbidden fruit (or herb) is always sweeter! :). She's happiest when she's bad!

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Wow good for you, I'm jealous :/

The leaf boomer ate just a while ago was a fluke. He won't get near it again.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
One other option would be to get a pack of seeds (dollar store) and start them and feed boomer the little sprouts as they're first coming up? Sprouts are tiny and non-discript but pack a powerful punch. Or maybe a little pot of sprouts in his zen garden...throw a few treats in the pot with the sprouts and let him forage?

dbstevens

Oct 1, 2013
PS. How about putting garlic in drinking water? I heard people do it for chickens and that it is good for them. Garlic is also anti-giardia among other things... but won't leaving it in water encourage bacterial growth?

Garlic is related to onions...a big NO NO for birds. I'd avoid garlic.

Be careful not to assume that what works for a human would work for a bird. Besides only being able to metabolize a fraction of the amount of something that a human would ingest, their digestive systems are very delicate. There are a lot of enzymes and foods that can harm your bird or even kill it...things that we'd consider harmless to humans. I make it a rule to NEVER give my bird (a wonderful and sweet cockatoo) something new until I've carefully researched it.

I also pour boiling water into my bird's dishes every day to clean them and kill bacteria. Don't use something like bleach...I've read in other forums that people recommend bleach to kill germs. !!!!!!! Yes, and it'll kill birds too. It would only take a very tiny residual amount.

On the subject of giving your bird something new to eat (that you've researched and are sure it's okay), you may find that you have to give your bird that food several days in a row before they try it. They're finicky about new things. I also do like another forum member here suggested, and pretend to eat it myself. That makes her curious. Even then, you usually waste a few bits of food for a few days before they like it.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I have a little herb garden up the back of my yard. The wild birds sometimes come in and chew occasionally on some of them. That would include lemon grass and strawberries and nasturtium. I've never seen a bird go near most of the herbs we use in cooking - so no, not oregano and not chives. Birds just know what's not going to taste good and what's not great for them to eat. They avoid the bad stuff. I don't know for certain, but I reckon your bird is trying to tell you something... :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts