I'm confused/bummed out..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
... BB isn't flying yet :confused: And today I looked at his arms,and the arm feathers he WAS growing are not there anymore! I know he hasn't yoinked them out himself,he doesn't do that kind of thing.
I have found two feathers on the floor and I just assumed it was from his tail.

Jim

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Awww Jim, don't be bummed out, he'll fly eventually. First molt maybe?
About the confused part, well, I can't help ya there buddy. 420 too much maybe? LOL.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Ya Al..first molt..but when I got him he was clipped,and started to grow new feathers on his arms..but now they are gone..why would he molt them back out?
I'm kinda GLAD he can't fly really..coz he is gonna be a real terror :eek: Very persistent on seeking out my shoulder..He has no clue on what the word NO!! means lol.

Jim

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Don't worry... often it starts happening only after they are over a year old (after they have fully molted) before they are flighted if they've been clipped by the breeder. He's not as behind as you think, he's still a baby. He WILL get there eventually :)

He's still in transition... hasn't even completed the molt halfway yet... but they will suddenly start coming in fast when they do... the flight feathers I mean.... he's not "there" yet... but wow his face is making huge progress!!

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Thanks Juliet ;) Ya his face...turning into a handsome fella < like his dad :p :D>

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
When I got the Rb at three months, his big-boy feathers (including flights and tail) were halfway out... he flapped, but only got a bit of a lift as he climbed or hopped. When his moult was done, we clipped him for a few YEARS, then stopped, and he flew after the next moult. I guess he was young enough not to have lost the muscle and stamina. That was about the same time he hit sexual maturity, and this began The Rickeybird Occuption of the territory.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Young Bird, lots of over active-wing flapping and crashes. Feather lose is common and timing is never good. They will grow back in and you will be saying: What was I thinking! Now I have a guy that goes where ever he wants, HELP!

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Young Bird, lots of over active-wing flapping and crashes. Feather lose is common and timing is never good. They will grow back in and you will be saying: What was I thinking! Now I have a guy that goes where ever he wants, HELP!

I consider myself lucky in that sense as Rascal never goes all over the place because he's super laid back (too lazy to move actually lol) but Coconut has been trained to not go certain places... he is super hyperactive but learned fast thank goodness! Now when he's outside of cage he hangs out on top of the cage... he's not going all over the place throughout entire house. Like a dog trained to not jump on the couch tiels can be also... :)

I could never deal with anyone wild all over the place wreaking havoc! Gotta make some ground rules or prepare to lose yo mind LOL :p

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

When I got the Rb at three months, his big-boy feathers (including flights and tail) were halfway out... he flapped, but only got a bit of a lift as he climbed or hopped. When his moult was done, we clipped him for a few YEARS, then stopped, and he flew after the next moult. I guess he was young enough not to have lost the muscle and stamina. That was about the same time he hit sexual maturity, and this began The Rickeybird Occuption of the territory.

Gail..Beebs has been doing that for a while now :eek: kind of comical lol..he'll run,then flapflapflap..get airborne about a foot high,and gently land on the floor,then repeat..
He is so awesome! I can be in this room on this thing,and he'll be in the living room on his roof,calling to me,and I'll say "I'm in here BB!" and I'll hear him call some more,and turn and look,and there he is...making his way to me,calling me,running,flapflapflap..more running and flapping..he wants to be with his Dad :60: Love the little guy!

Jim

Most Reactions