Im maybe getting a bird soon, but im stuck between budgies and cockatiels, what should i choose?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Both species are fantastic options! As the owner of both, they both have pros and cons.
Both have similar care.
A few things to consider, tiels are quite a bit more dusty than budgies and, in volume are louder than budgies.
Budgies just make nearly constant warbling!

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Blueheaded Pionus-born May 2019
Budgie is a good choice for a first timer. Cockatiels are already a huge responsibility, they're more intelligent and demanding than some might think.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Personally, I want to throw my hat in the cockatiel ring. I think there's not quite such thing as a "starter bird"--yes, both cockatiels and budgies are miles easier to care for than a macaw or a cockatoo, but the fact is regardless of which you choose you need to put the work in researching their needs beforehand, so I think you should choose the bird that resonates with you more.

Budgies are, in my experience, much more skittish. Small birds in general tend to be frightful. THAT SAID, if you buy from a breeder or a parrot shop that hand raises birds, I'm sure you could find a budgie that's incredibly tame, but my experience has been that all things being equal a cockatiel is easier to hand tame than a budgie. If you're looking for an affectionate bird that will cuddle and let you scritch them, I think cockatiel is the way to go all the way.

Either way, I encourage you to research where you get the bird from before buying. Don't buy a Petco/Petsmart bird. Unless you're rescuing an adult (which may come with taming complications, but is always worth it to save a life!), you should be careful to find a breeder or shop that handles their birds often and with kindness.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
So im getting a bird (possibly not sure yet), but i dont know what bird to choose, its come down to budgies and cockatiels. What do i choose?????????????????? (oh and im new to bird forums so i dont know if i posted this right)
Their both great birds.
Do some homework and follow your heart ♥

Most Reactions

Latest posts