I'm new!

SophieDJ

Jun 6, 2014
Parrots
Green cheek conure!
Hello everyone! I'm a new owner of a green cheek conure (possibly a maroon belly), and am looking to learn as much as I can to make sure I do right by him! I work at petsmart, so I know the bare minimum of what it takes to look after these fun bossy little guys, but I know I'm young and inexperienced so I would appreciate any advice you have for me. Please feel free to share your experiences both good and bad to help me take care of my new family member!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Welcome to the forum. :) What is your baby's name?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! Your little guy is a real cutie:)
There are lots of members with conures who can help you with your specific questions, and you can also search through the different forums for information as well that will help:)
So glad you joined us!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi Sophie welcome. What a great attitude you have :)! I think you'll love it here. Lots of people with the small conures to help.

I'd love to see pics of your new little guy! Probably a GCC if you got him from Petsmart. Maroon Bellied's were extremely popular years ago (I believe when they were importing tons of wild ones), but now they're not seen very often. In the Maroon Bellied's heyday, I had never heard of a Green Cheek!

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
Welcome to the Forum!! Glad your with Us! and Congrats on your new green cheek...Have you got a name for him yet?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Welcome to the forum!

Green cheeks have black heads and maroon bellies have green heads. Here's one photo that kind of shows the difference.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/feliciamccaulley/3532523180/in/pool-2166664@N24

Conures are very inquisitive birds! They do benefit from a large cage (flight cages that are on stands are great sizes!), plenty of toys (foraging toys, shreddable toys, noisy toys, etc), a health diet (pellets, sprouts, vegetables, some fruits, grains and healthy legumes) and training! (clicker training and positive reinforcement training)

Most Reactions