I'm now the servent of a parrot....

Gos

Nov 12, 2009
Well, looks like I'm taking the plunge into the Amazon World.
I picked up an adopted a 10 year old male Lilac Crowned Amazon last weekend. So far it's been somewhat comical. I was very worried about a new bird in the home but he's taken right off to things. I have some major puzzlements that only time will answer. His name for starters!
He does do some talking when he's after something. "Want a Cookie?" is generic for "I'd like to taste what your eating, or I need a treat". He saw my Mrs. taking some taco shells out of the fridge and fluttered down to the carpet (he's clipped), walked over and announced "Taco?" How do you say no to that?
He is not overly touchy. Sort of like a cat. If he wants his head scratched then it's ok, otherwise you can tell he's not wild about touching. He does do a strange sort of dance that I'm puzzled by. I may post a video clip later and you can tell me the significance of it, assuming there is one...
The most I have on him is that he was someone's pet, then was dna checked as a male, placed as a breeder for a few months but wanted to spend time with people, not his mate-to-be. He was removed, then put up for placement where I found the add. A week worth of emails later, and I'm at the airport picking him up.
Hopefully this will be a good match for us. I have given a bird a second home. Hopefully, he and I will get along well enough that I don't condition any bad vices into him. While a young bird looked like a great route to go, I was very concerned that my time would not be enough to raise one properly; this way we are already there...
Wish us luck.

BlueToast

Oct 18, 2009
Media
South Jersey
Parrots
Severe Macaw
Yeah my bird has me wrapped neatly around it's little finger/claw/talon thingy whatever you call it. But really the bird is like my new best friend. We hang out talk do stuff watch tv. We can't drink together but you know.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Congratulations and welcome.
You sure are lucky he settled in so quickly, some birds take months in their new environment. He sounds so gorgeous, had a good laugh him asking for Taco. Sounds like he's finally home !!!
Very lucky bird to be given a second chance, not many people would take in a 10 year old bird.
Sounds like a match made in heaven.
PS. your are not the servant, you are his new parents... happy parenting.
Wish you many joyful hours, birds are great companions AND entertainers.
Do keep us posted
Take care

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
I'm the furthest thing from a parrot expert, but I've had my Boo for almost four years now, and I've read everything I could find on parrot behavior - both in a domestic setting, and in the wild.

One thing that's really stuck with me, and made me more glad than ever that I got a rescue parrot is their instinct for mating. In the wild, they stay with their "home flock" for a while, then their instincts tell them to fly off, find a mate, and settle down. I've read so many people tell about problems they had when their parrot was 2-3 years old. Parrots that had been sweet, loving birds suddenly changed and got nippy and cranky. I really believe that's their instincts telling them it's time to go somewhere else. Boo was shy, at first, and he didn't want to even leave his cage. Over the years, he's become so social and so affectionate, it's like he's a different bird. He accepts my dogs, and they accept him. He accepts my other half. The house is his, and he knows it. He still has a little problem with visitors coming into the house (it's his house, after all, and he certainly didn't invite them), but he's perfectly happy with everything else. When he wants to go upstairs and go to bed, he'll tell me "Night night, sleep good". When he wants to be picked up, it's "Good morning". And when he wants something I'm eating, he rings one of the bells on his cage. He loves bells - he loves anything he can shake that makes noise.

I don't push him to do anything. If I want him to go to bed and he isn't ready, I'll tell him "It's very late. Boo needs to go upstairs and get some sleep." He'll consider it. If he decides it's all right, he comes to me. If he isn't ready, he'll move away. I don't force it, and soon enough he's telling me "Night night, sleep good".

Trust your bird, and let him trust you. Don't try to be the boss, because birds don't understand the concept of boss. Having a bird, at least for me, is more of a partnership, and Boo gets to have his say in what goes on in his life.

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Banned
Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Poconos, Pa, USA
Both Scott and you have the right idea: adopt an adult bird. Much less risky than buying a baby and much more rewarding! Congratulations on the new addition to the family and KUDOS to you for adopting him!

justwingingit

Nov 28, 2009
Media
New Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Macaws: Hyacinth, B&G's, Greenwings, Scarlets, Blue Throated. Afr Grey, Cuban Amazon, Caiques, et al
I love it when birds are adopted. I consider them "children of the system" especially if they've been passed around. I love baby birds and I love the older birds as well. Each is special and deserving in their own right. Since my husband and I do not have kids, my birds and dogs are my kids. Someday, I'll be referred to as the "crazy lady with her animals". But that's okay with me. I look forward to more of your adventures. As for the name, I didn't understand: were you given his name or did they not know? Maybe I missed that part. Congratulations and enjoy!:blue:

Belle

Dec 11, 2009
I'm glad you all mentioned having adopted a parrot. I haven't thought much about it but after reading your posts I can see that might be right thing for me to do.

Thanks Much! Belle

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
He does do a strange sort of dance that I'm puzzled by. I may post a video clip later and you can tell me the significance of it, assuming there is one...

Within a few weeks of getting Boo, he started doing a strange dance whenever we were on the couch together. He'd move down to my chest and hop from one foot to the other, making strange noises and fluttering his wings. I found out what it was one day when he successfully fertilized my shirt. He was mating with me. It's a little odd when you realize you're a bird's girlfriend, but I've learned to adapt.

OP
G

Gos

Nov 12, 2009
Here's a video link of one of his "dances". I'm sure it's a courtship display, without the "deposit" as it were. The parrot likes my son best so far. He is home for Christmas Break.

Last edited:

Most Reactions