Imemi and the unnamed Eccie

imemi

Aug 19, 2018
Australia
Parrots
1 Male eclectus
Hey All!
I'm Emi, I've got an Eclectus Parrot, male aged nearly 10 weeks (yes I know he's young, I live up the road from the breeder and I'm getting feeding lessons etc as we go.)
I work from home so he will be with me or my Housemate, who runs his own business, at every point (we are creating a monster and we know it, In a good way!)
But I get anxious and I'm researching more and more and more. I've got lots of help here, but you can never know too much!
He's been home with me for nearly a day now and is chilling with me at the table while I work. He's being fed 3 - 5 times a day on Neocare (Vetafarm) and tries just about every single veggie or fruit we try him on.

Totally in love with him and here on a learning journey. Got lots of questions and looking for as many opinions as I can get that will be helpful.
Oh, I'm Australian, I have an avian vet and have been exposed to many many birds in working with them before.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family! Looking forward to learning more about you and your ekkie boy.

Yes, that is definitely on the young side. I'm glad you have someone nearby who can serve as your mentor, because ekkies are among the most difficult parrots to handfeed as babies. So be careful, and take steps to make sure the formula is never too hot or too cold. Either extreme can have dire consequences for the little one.

Here is a link to a thread by one of the members of this forum with good breeding experience: http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html I know you already have someone guiding you through the process, but it won't hurt to go through the checklist provided in her post to be sure you've dotted all i's and crossed all t's.

Hope you get the chance to post some pics soon!

OP
I

imemi

Aug 19, 2018
Australia
Parrots
1 Male eclectus
Thanks Anansi!
I've already been on the thread and double checked everything! It co-incides with my mentor luckily!
I got offered a 4 week old Ekkie from another "breeder" in the city but I am so glad I didn't go that young. At least our unnamed boy has his feathers and is good at letting me know when things aren't right. He flat out refuses warm, luke-warm or cold formula hahaha.

I got this boy because I "rescued" his dad who flew into the side of my parents house. We eventually found his home and his partner was on eggs, his owners are elderly and had help from their niece who hand reared them as there was an issue with one and they were worried about this boy. (That seems remarkably complicated now that I type it out.)

My housemate had experience with Lorikeets but not Ekkies, I had experiences with all types of birds from working in a very large pet store and they taught me the basics and we even dealt with young feeding (we had animals dumped at the store and everything)
So...The more info, input and suggestions the better. I do my own research and try to form opinions based on solid advice and evidence. I'm not afraid to be told that I'm an idiot for taking on unweaned (I know...) but I'm also incredibly lucky for my support network and now to have found you guys!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, thanks for being such a dedicated parront! Seems you have the most beneficial support system for feeding a relative youngster!

OP
I

imemi

Aug 19, 2018
Australia
Parrots
1 Male eclectus
Well, knowledge and practise and experience I figure are the 3 things I need to continue to get in life. Particularly with my boy.

Here's a few pics of him settling in:

https://imgur.com/a/0tPO8z3

Last edited:

Most Reactions