Import band identification

chad246emr

Feb 18, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Parrots
Pickle - Severe Macaw,
Sunshine - Umbrella Cockatoo
Hello everyone.

I'm hoping you can help me obtain more information about my sun conures open leg band. It's one of the round, silver bands and is clearly and open leg band.

I rescued him from a terrible situation (that's another topic for another day) and he has an open leg band on him.

Any information I find indicates that all imported birds had one of two types of alphanumeric codes on them:

1) letter letter letter number number number with the first letter indicating the state, the second indicating the private quarantine facility, and the third letter and numbers used to identify the individual bird.

2) USDA letter with the letter indicating the city the USDA facility was in.

Mangos band has "CBTCP" imprinted on it and on the other side "353"

Does anyone know what this means? I can't find any information resembling his leg band.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Can you provide a picture of the band? Not all open bands are import bands, sometimes breeders miss the window for banding, have incorrect sizing, or he was banded as an adult. Given their lifespan, it's fairly unlikely he was imported before legislation was passed and many import facilities were closed.

This page has some information about import bands.
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - The ABC's Of Leg Bands - Identifying Birds

OP
chad246emr

chad246emr

Feb 18, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Parrots
Pickle - Severe Macaw,
Sunshine - Umbrella Cockatoo
kMS22F

cRD9hFf

cRD9hFf

Last edited:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I was only able to look at one of the three images you sent, and while it is a rolled aluminum band, it's hard to say because of the formatting. It's possible he was imported but through a private facility, that doesn't mean he was imported, just possibly bred outside the US.

My Amazon's import band reads FL FBR 509, and he's anywhere between 35-45 years old. FL for Florida obviously, but the FBR is the import code, also denoting Florida, followed by the quarantine station which I've been unable to track, but likely Boca Raton, FL.

He went through a privately owned import facility, so that's the formatting for that. If he went through a USDA facility, it would include USDA on the band, such as USDAM if he went though Florida.

This has some more information regarding the conservation act of 1992 and importing of wild birds.
https://www.fws.gov/international/l...ervation-laws/wild-bird-conservation-act.html

I'll try to look into your birds band a little more, but my best guess is that he was bred outside the country, not wild caught and if there's no microchip, likely not from Europe, so Mexico could be my best guess without any further research.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The great assumption that you are located some place in the USA - at least a region would be helpful!

The likelihood that you have an 'imported' Sun Conure is so near zero that it leaves questions as to the foundation of the story itself. As covered by others, the USA has closed all 'import' holding facilities nation wide years ago!

Although Parrots enter the USA everyday. The vast majority are Companion Parrots traveling with their owners. The odd 'imported' Parrot has an extensive and expensive document trail. The costs of developing such a trail and the Parrot is beyond what anyone would pay for a Sun Conure. Not putting down Conures, just running the numbers. The starting point seems to be in the mid-upper teens (15,000 USD and up).

Once again, if you are in the USA (?) you have a native Breeder band that was added for some odd reason.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
It is also possible that at some point in his past he was shown so someone put an open band on him as an adult. To my knowledge most, of not all, birds that are shown must be banded. So many people who show their birds that were not banded as babies will put open bands on them as adults.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions