Important Supplies for Pet Tarantulas: A Zoo Keeper’s Notes

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
Among the world’s 900+ tarantula species (Family Theraphosidae) we find spiders of every conceivable size, description and lifestyle, some of which make interesting, long-lived pets. I had the chance to work with many during my zoo career, and most of the supplies that I relied upon are now readily available to hobbyists. Whether you are just starting out or looking to add additional species to your collection, the following information will assist in your decision. Please be sure to post any questions or observations about pet tarantulas below.Read more here Important Supplies for Pet Tarantulas - a Zoo Keeper?s Notes
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We get pretty large tarantulas here in AZ. Brown, hairy ones. Strangely, regular spiders really freak me out, but I'm not so scared of the tarantulas. I've shooed them out of the road before (with a stick) so they don't get smashed. I don't, by any means, ever want to touch or own one (no offense), but they seem like docile enough animals I can kind of enjoy seeing one every once in a while in their natural habitat and a ways away from me :)

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
We get pretty large tarantulas here in AZ. Brown, hairy ones. Strangely, regular spiders really freak me out, but I'm not so scared of the tarantulas. I've shooed them out of the road before (with a stick) so they don't get smashed. I don't, by any means, ever want to touch or own one (no offense), but they seem like docile enough animals I can kind of enjoy seeing one every once in a while in their natural habitat and a ways away from me :)

Thanks for the note...they are different than others, somehow, and the US species are not all that fast, so seem less threatening I think;

Re "no offense" - I've worked with everything from cobras to elephants and tigers, but do not handle tarantulas; very easy to get hairs in eyes, requiring surgical removal, and they can never be trusted not to bite (then again, given all my scars and imbedded teeth, I trust very little!).

perhaps you are seeing the the the Arizona Blond Tarantula, or the Oklahom a Brown (which shares it's burrow with a frog); thise out and about are invariably males searching for females; males live a yera or 2, females to 20+; please see this article for info on above 2 species.

Enjoy, Best, Frank

Most Reactions