In Snowy's best interests

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Buster turquoisegrey IRN male, Piper buttercup IRN female. 2 Budgies who will soon be relocating to my brothers home.
After talking to various breeders and ringneck owners in my community , I've decided to relinquish Snowy to a breeder. She is breeding age, no one ever bothered to tame her and if I so much as change her water she goes into a frenzy. She is quite calm, but detests human interaction, and refuses to leave her cage even though she has freedom to come and go. Its gonna break my heart but I honestly think she will be happier in a large aviary setup, she was intended for breeding but her owners couldn't find her a suitable mate. Hence they sold her to me.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
As long as she is going to a good breeder, one that feeds a good varied diet and doesn't overbreed, I think you are doing the right thing. I hate to say it but there just are some times when birds make better breeders than pets and they are much happier living with another bird than a human companion. I think it is a good thing you are doing, rather than keeping her as a pet for selfish reasons you are giving her up so she can be happier :)

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I can't say I like sentencing a bird to a life of breeding at all, but I understand that some birds are set in their ways and used to flock mentality. i would look around you because there are many sanctuaries and aviaries that are non profit, take in birds for free and they live in a wonderful flock, as free as they can be, aren't used for breeding and will never be rehomed. They stay there to live out their life in freedom their own ways. It's a real beautiful thing and that is what a plan to do with Erin should the time come. She is so friendly and loving, but she loves to be around other animals and birds, more than humans, it's only natural.

OP
Amandastander

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Buster turquoisegrey IRN male, Piper buttercup IRN female. 2 Budgies who will soon be relocating to my brothers home.
Thanks Mara, I'm really far from them but will look into it. I just want her to be so happy and gonna miss her so much! A lot of breeders are interested for obvious reason she's an albino IRN, and hence around here she's way more expensive than the other IRNs. But I'm not looking at monetary gain, I am actually checking out the condition of their birds first, their diets, as well as the way they're treated and watch how they react when the breeder nears the cages. The fact I paid for her doesn't bother me at all, I'm basically looking at getting her a good home where she has more freedom and can interact with other birds etc.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I had an IRN when I was younger, who was exactly the same. She hated humans.. Her cage was outside, and if we even walked outside she would flap all around and freak out. :( My dads friend offered to take her and put her into a huge aviary with a rainbow lorrikeet and I agreed. She was much happier there and you could walk right up to the aviary without her freaking out, it calmed her a lot. Even though its not the same, as she wasn't breeding, she was much better off, and it hurt, but I was happy to give her a better home, and I could still visit too.

OP
Amandastander

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
So I'm happy to report I've found Snowy a home. I was so sad to see her go and I didn't sleep well last night, worrying about how she's adapting etc. She is 2 blocks from home and I can go visit her if I like. She has a gorgeous lutino to keep her company, all the breeders birds are healthy happy very good feather condition, shiny coats so to speak, lol, well fed on a variety of pellets, seeds and fruit and veg. I know she will take a few days to adapt and I really feel like a traitor! And lo and behold, what does the breeder do as I leave? He hands me a gorgeous 6 week old green IRN to make up for the loss of Snowy! So ima feeding a baby now, he knows I take good care of my animals and feels confident about giving her to me, so I can finish handraising her. She's a semi tame sweetheart so it doesn't ease the pain of doing what's best for Snowy but this little addition is sure to keep me busy!

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,