Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
I had done my research on Senegals before I got Gollum (not enough I suppose since I didnt research how they interact with other birds lol) I decided because of the size, capability of speech, personality as far as not being as needy as a too. Along with many other reasons lol. However, I admit I have not researched the IRN as much. Some light reading but not much. I had decided on a IRN because of the beauty and voice (whether or not it ever forms words the voice is awesome!).
I am really excited to go see all these different parrots in person. I cant wait to share my experience with you guys. :) Maybe one day one of the rescues will choose me :) If I really enjoy it, maybe I can volunteer. (maybe volunteering will suppress my MBS)

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
I just got a email from the local breeder I got Gollum from.... The ringnecks just hatched! I do not know if I have the strength to turn one down:54:... and I havent even gotten pictures yet!:52:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Pfft....might as well get the IRN baby AND the Ekki that's up for sale here that you've been eyeballing. :21: Then you can sit back and relax....LOL

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
I think if you really want the IRN I would get it. I heard they are loud though, do you like loud birds?

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Pfft....might as well get the IRN baby AND the Ekki that's up for sale here that you've been eyeballing. :21: Then you can sit back and relax....LOL

It's so hard... when I got Kiwi all I could think about was getting my Senegal - there were none available at the time, and Kiwi was more my daughters bird. 8 weeks later I was driving to LA to see some Senegal's and bought Rio. Two years later, I re-homed Rio. :(

I couldn't stop thinking about getting a Sennie, until I got one. Now what's done is done, and all I can do now is continue to give Kiwi the best life possible.

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15

And may as well add a macaw too. :p

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
I think if you really want the IRN I would get it. I heard they are loud though, do you like loud birds?

I know it's really too soon to tell but Gollum is pretty quiet. When she does get loud it is like a SCREEEEEECH! As far as the IRN, I love their voices! I haven't heard their regular noises though

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15

It's so hard... when I got Kiwi all I could think about was getting my Senegal - there were none available at the time, and Kiwi was more my daughters bird. 8 weeks later I was driving to LA to see some Senegal's and bought Rio. Two years later, I re-homed Rio. :(

I couldn't stop thinking about getting a Sennie, until I got one. Now what's done is done, and all I can do now is continue to give Kiwi the best life possible.

I know I don't need another bird anytime soon! This one is messy and attention seeking enough lol! Honestly if you knew for sure that the birds would get along, and could be out at the same time... It wouldn't be a big deal at all. But having to be prepared for jealousy and having one out at a time... Makes a huge difference.
These babies won't be ready until Christmas time anyway.... We will see!

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
UGH! Look what came in my email... IRN babies from the breeder I got Gollum from. Three babies and the Ekkies are still on eggs. I had put off even thinking about a new bird for a while! LOOK AT THESE CUTIES! I could not be a breeder....I just want to kiss them and hold them and snuggle them....
newbsi-albums-irn-babies-picture15094-indian-ringnecks-8-10-15.jpg

newbsi-albums-irn-babies-picture15095-indian-ringnecks-8-10-15.jpg

Last edited:

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I've had two baby gccs around the same time. I got my first one when she was around 6 months old and the second maybe a few weeks after that was just weaned. I had been on a waiting list and hadn't heard anything so got the first one then tada the breeder emailed me....so I got my second one too.

Maturity was a bit of a nightmare. Monkey, the first one and female, was a little demon...there is a better word but I'm not allowed to use it! Then, shortly after Monster, my male went bonkers. It was a very frustrating time and I think I threatened to feed Monkey to some of the other animals at one point. Green Cheeks are little bullies in my opinion and having two of them go haywire at the same time was an interesting bang my head on the wall, pull my hair out, and screech in frustration experience to say the least. Right now we are fostering a rescue green cheek that is most definitely going through maturity (and I'm positive is the reason he was dumped) and it is a nice reminder of just how frustrating the little cute baby birds turn out to be...

Now Monkey is five and she is my even keeled calm one. Monster is 4 and half....he very much lives up to the name and needs a reminder every once in awhile to behave even though maturity is behind him. Hormones are forever....unfortunately...

I've also had two baby cockatiels at the same time and I barely even knew maturity had occurred and passed with them. My third conure is almost two and she hasn't shown any crazy hormones just a brief period where she acted out a bit.

Honestly I would give it some time before adding number two but I remember the need to add more to the flock at a crazy rate:D

Last edited:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
They're beautiful! I will add though, IRN voices ARE beautiful, adorable, you name it... their screeches, not so much. If you end up with a male, be prepared to have a bird that screams/talks every minute of every hour of every day except for when he's sleeping (or at least that's the case with my baby, started talking at 5 months and hasn't stopped since!). If you would prefer a quieter bird, I would go with a female. They're not as well known to be strong talkers, though there are always exceptions to both sexes.

I equate Shiko's actual IRN scream to a spaceship with lazer beams that echo off perfect, acoustically built walls that are my head. I would ask your breeder if you're allowed to interact with the adults and listen to them scream in person (chances are they aren't strong talkers if they're only breeder birds). It may prepare you for what's to come if you decide to bring one of these babies home ;)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Now that I'm thinking about it...if I'm completely honest I had 4 baby birds at the same time. My green cheeks and my cockatiel girls are all around 5 years old. I've had them all since they were little maybe thats why I can't remember the girls going through maturity. My green cheeks were so monstrous they overrode anything the cockatiels did:eek:

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
I really think that Gollum is PLENTY of parrot for now! (although I will not make any promises about not getting another one) I am leaning towards the side of the fence where it is a NO. Time will tell...

Most Reactions

Latest posts