Indian ringneck female behaviour?

izpyii

Jan 20, 2020
Hello,
I have owned my female ringneck (Luna, currently around 4 and a half months old) since december 13th. I was in a situation where I was offered her brother and took him. I've had him for about 4 days. He's an absolute sweetheart, very relaxed but also adventourous and loves flying around our living room. Luna and Stormy were best friends before Luna came to me. Now, she is very VERY territorial of basically everything. Her cage, her playgym, her toys, her perches, and when he gets comfortable somewhere she shoo's him off. Sometimes they will inch close together and she will try to apologise by trying to preen him or feed him but he gets freaked and flies off. The cage is the worst one. They currently spend all day while I'm at school seperated which is not what i wanted to happen. What can I do to encourage them to get along? It's mostly Luna that is the problem though. Do i need to get a new cage or move bedrooms so everything is new and not claimed by her? Thanks everyone :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Housing a female ringneck with another bird in a cage setting (as opposed to a large aviary) is unwise. They often maim or kill other birds in those situations even if everything was fine just hours before. Also, you really don’t want to encourage them to form a mate bond and then spend all your energy trying to prevent inbred babies.

Your birds need separate cages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

izpyii

Jan 20, 2020
Housing a female ringneck with another bird in a cage setting (as opposed to a large aviary) is unwise. They often maim or kill other birds in those situations even if everything was fine just hours before. Also, you really don’t want to encourage them to form a mate bond and then spend all your energy trying to prevent inbred babies.

Your birds need separate cages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks. Thanks anywas

Most Reactions