Info on the Life of a Cockatoo Owner?

LeafintheWind

Oct 4, 2011
Hello, =)

Before I do something that I may potentially regret, I want to ask the experts. I would like to get a ducorps cockatoo. I've been doing research and thinking about it for months now, and I know that if I had any doubt in my mind about getting one, that I should not since they are so tricky, to put it lightly. I guess I'll sum up my life in a nutshell, and then say what it is that I'm looking for in a pet bird.

First of all, I'm a college student. I live with my boyfriend, where we have a young, large dog and two ferrets. The thing is, I don't find it necessary to go to class that often, so I AM home a lot of the time. When I am not home, he is since he tends to work at night while I work during the day. Usually, the only times I go out are to go my job at a pet store ( generally 20 hours a week ) and occasionally go to campus for an exam, quiz or lab. That and I'm out of the house for general needs, such as grocery shopping but of course that's assumed. I'm completely aware that a large parrot is generally a life time commitment and isn't just some phase that a kid, such as myself, will go through, grow out of and want a baby. I do expect to have children somewhere down the road, but that's not until at least 7 - 10 years from now. At that point, I still expect to have my bird, of course, and I have read of the issues of having an already accustomed bird with a new born baby. I'm not the most experienced bird owner I will definitely admit, though my parents owned cockatiels for quite a while and I have worked at a pet store where we have had a large selection of birds, including african greys, conures, only one cockatoo (a U2) quakers, love birds, cockatiels, you name it. We, of course handle them all the time so that's where most of my experience with birds comes from.

What I'm looking for in a bird: I want something that I can spend time with, something that will grow to love me dearly, will trust me, and maybe even learn to talk a little bit or even possibly whistle with me. Something that I can cuddle with while watching tv at night or monitor / cuddle with while reading a book or doing something on a laptop. (I know this is all fantasy bird world, and it's not nearly always like this, but I want someday for my bird to be able to participate in these things) I knew somebody who's mom that had a bird so attached to her, it would go in the shower with her and follow her when she got out. Little things like this would make me so happy, even if I had to put up with all the constant cleaning, all the loud noise, the expense, the training, the biting, the dust, all of the time taken away.

Now that's my life in a nut shell, I want to know anyone who has ever owned a cockatoo's opinion, especially a ducorps cockatoo owner. I want to know what their daily life is like with a cockatoo, the pros, the cons (especially the cons) and don't be gentle, I want the nitty gritty truth! I DO NOT want to make a huge mistake either for myself or for a large bird. I want to be as informed as humanly possible before I make my decision, since I understand it is like having a child! One thing though, please do not assume that because I am young I know absolutely nothing nor have I done any research or had any serious thought about this. I have thought about this for months, and I am coming here for your help before I decide so please be honest, I want to know what the life of a cockatoo owner is like! Injuries, bad experiences, good experiences, regrets, anything! Thank you for any advice or help I greatly appreciate it. (sorry this post is so very long)

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I had parrots for nearly 20 years before I owned a cockatoo, and I was grossly unprepared for how different a 'too can be from other parrot species. I own 4 umbrellas, 2 moluccan, 4 Goffins, 2 rosebreasteds, and have raised and rehabbed many others.

First, don't be materialistic.... even the most trsponsible cockatoo owner gets stuff destroyed. (When I was in college I went and bought my books, set them on the coffee table, went to the bathroom, came back and my $220 accounting text book was missing the entire front cover. We have had many new cars, but I no longer have the clickers for any of them. Cages pushed to close to walls will have beak sized gashes in them. The dust will ruin electronics if not kept far away from a 'too and use an air filter. (I've gone through xbox360's like it's going out of style because my umbrellas spend the day in the living room rather than the bird building.

The screaming on an average 'too is enough to drive anyone nuts.... this is not so bad with a Ducorps, but they can still be very loud and shrill.

The bonding sounds wondeful, until you live with it.... it's like having a short, white, feathered stalker (depending on the bird).

Good cockatoo owners are a special kind of crazy.... lol

Ducorps are more akin to goffins in their flaws and behavoirs....
Ducorps are not known for being as insane as other 'toos
Set limits and make sure to get a huge cage and LOTS of destructable toys.

You didn't say if you live in an apartment or a house....

Other species to consider....

Pionus, timneh grey, severe macaw (just to name a few)

Oh, and I LOVE cockatoos (but I'm that special kind of crazy)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Hello, =)

What I'm looking for in a bird: I want something that I can spend time with, something that will grow to love me dearly, will trust me, and maybe even learn to talk a little bit or even possibly whistle with me. Something that I can cuddle with while watching tv at night or monitor / cuddle with while reading a book or doing something on a laptop. (I know this is all fantasy bird world, and it's not nearly always like this, but I want someday for my bird to be able to participate in these things) I knew somebody who's mom that had a bird so attached to her, it would go in the shower with her and follow her when she got out. Little things like this would make me so happy, even if I had to put up with all the constant cleaning, all the loud noise, the expense, the training, the biting, the dust, all of the time taken away.

The section I have quoted really worries me... It seems like you're in an extreme need to be loved, and maybe you don't have anyone in your life to fulfill that need at the moment.

A cockatoo is not the way to go... I'm sorry, if this sounds harsh...

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I must also apologise but my first thoughts were to get a cat. When a client approches me with requests like your's that is what i tell them & i refuse to sell one of my babies. If a person wants a companion parrot with all those qualities i am afraid they are going to be disappointed if the bird isn't what they had expected. Lets face it if your buying a young hand-reared parrot your the one that has to do all the training. In the end you may not get a parrot anything like what your looking for.

You do need to research a lot more to find the right companion parrot for you.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Thanks ShreddedOaks, Rome just destroyed the cover off of one of my $200 text books (good thing I was planning on keeping it anyway :52:). I love the part about being a little white stalker (they have esp they ALWAYS know where you are).

Normally I would type end on end with this subject (as I am quite notorious for doing so). This time though I have had a very long day at school and some Princess in the house (referring to my M2) is currently throwing a temper tantrum. Go under forums and go to the questions/answers, then look under the pros and cons of getting an older cockatoo. I just posted a day or so ago about what they are like (probably put too much info but its there). In short they are exhausting this is the price for that 'love' thing you are interested in. You will never get a Too that is in 'love' with you, they are far beyond that, they are OBSESSED with you. Actually they are probably further beyond that but I'm not sure what comes after obsessed.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
Oh one more thing: PLEASE, PLEASE make sure any significant other in your life that you either live with or ever plan on living with can live with a Too as well. When I was offered mine I explained to my BF why I had never wanted another one (because they are so clingy and they think that they need you all the time), to which he said well lets go take a look anyway. When we showed up and she conned him into wanting her, I further explained that they were like having a two year old child for life. He said fine and the he was okay with that. Everything in the house has settled now but in the begging it was a difficult adjustment for Rome to make, which in turn made our lives difficult (your Too will never be unhappy alone). During this time he told me that I did not prepare him, I reminded him of the two year talk I gave him, he responded that he did not know what it was like to have a two year (until now). He now loves Rome and is happy with her but the begging was really rough on him. I know how to tough it out when they transition but I now had to teach him how to deal with one to. I had to deal with a cranky unsatisfied bird, and a more cranky BF for the first few months. Its very important (and often overlooked) to consider what your spouse can handle as well.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Sorry that post I did wasn't under ques/ans it was under General Parrot Information.

TeakwoodBirdHouse

Sep 20, 2011
Largo, Florida
I've had one Too in my life, and the above descriptions are perfect. Mine was a rescue from a dog attack, and had lost a leg, and part of her wing. I have never had a more needy, clingy, jealous, tempermental bird, and I've had many birds. But, to be honest, I loved my Snowflake like no other.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
One last comment.... My aviary got it's name because when we first bought our house and farm my umbrella (Moe left bird in Avatar pic, and my first 'too years ago) shredded the 122 year old oak molding next to a beautiful cathedral style stained glass windw (with the original families crest in it) We were still trying to un pack and set things up and Moe took advantage of the distraction and marked our beautiful historic house as his, I was actually quite upset at the time, but I can't change it, and I can't be mad at a cockatoo for being a cockatoo.... just his dumb owner for not paying attention to where the movers set the cage...lol .... THE FIRST DAY!

It's a pun on farm names to some extent.... like "Whispering pines", but it has nothing to do with trees, and just another way of admitting the damage cockatoos do regularly.

Last edited:

TeakwoodBirdHouse

Sep 20, 2011
Largo, Florida
Yes, that beak! A can opener on their faces!:D As I said, my Too came to me from a very traumatic experience. She took a long time to get over it, and trust me. In the meantime, I was bitten several times, and still have the scars to remind me of her. RIP, my Snowflake.

TonyCagg

Jun 30, 2011
Upstate New York
Parrots
Nic Nic..."World's Quietest" Eleonora Cockatoo
My Nic Nic is the first large bird i have ever, personally, owned. I had several budgies in my time and worked as a zookeeper and veterinary tech for many years, so I have extensive experience with 'Toos.

That being said, they are like no other bird I have ever met. YES, you may get love and even stalking type love from them, but they make you earn every ounce of it.

Having a partner or significant other who is on board with a "Too is not just a good idea, but MANDATORY. These birds, like no other, can be demanding to a fault. I probably spend more time teaching (or conditioning) Nic Nic to spend time entertaining himself (especially in my presence, when he can see me) as I do actually playing with him. Not that I ignore him, but the temptation to always play or pet him is strong, and doing so with likely come back to bite you in the future. As it will most certainly be expected EVERY SINGLE MINUTE you are in their sight!!!

Nic Nic is an Eleanora, and in my experience at least, they are less "needy" than U2s or Moluccans...but he can be demanding none the less.

Not sure I would recommend a Too as a first bird to anyone, but there are many, MANY species specific traits, quirks and considerations to look at before ever thinking about getting one.

OH...and be sure to never UNDERESTIMATE exactly just how much powder down you will be dealing with...without an air purifier I doubt I could own one...they are truly THAT DUSTY!!!

OP
L

LeafintheWind

Oct 4, 2011
I greatly thank everyone for all of their advice! As for the air purifier, I already have 2 lol, and I know of the perfect place to put her. My boy friend is completely on board and thinks that a ducorps would be a great (and final) addition to our household! We have the ability to spend plenty of time with her, a room just for her and her cage, not to mention she will be able to follow me around the house while my ferrets are inside their little plastic "shield" balls so they won't bother each other (of course I will very carefully monitor them, I know cockatoos practically have beaks of steel). I've already worked everything out, and I just keep reading more and more parrot training literature as well as watching videos on youtube. I know all about having to train them to entertain themselves, otherwise I will have a screaming bird and that's not fun for anyone, especially with how loud cockatoos tend to get! I have read all of the negatives and positives, but honestly, the more I read, the more excited I get! I would love to receive the type of love that a cockatoo is able to give, and I know when I TRULY learn what that means, I will know that nothing would have prepared me for that. However, now that I'm hearing from people, it is very helpful, I've been reading through the forums and experiences of people. I do have to say, I'm nervous about the biting incidences that I've read about, and I know that no matter how much it will love me, some days it will just have to be in a bad mood and I will have to be careful to assess that before I try to interact with it, (I imagine it's not that clean cut though, this is a cockatoo after all) I would still love to hear any advice or experiences that anyone has to share, such as shock from what a cockatoo demands, biting experiences, tricks to keep them from mauling you, examples of HOW much your cockatoo loves you etc. The more I learn the better, and if I decide to do this, asking for help from owners is the best thing to learn and make sure =).

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
hello shredded oaks, I can relate. I have the feeling I'm the only one on this sight that free flights my cockatoo, seeing that you're a senior member...can you tell me if I'm wrong? He loves the oak trees, he stays in his territory, (which is about a hundred yard radius around our house) and has modified our deck...radically!, I sand it out, stain it back to original color and it's beautiful! I call it cockatoo art! He has also, modified the oak trees to his liking, cleaning them up for take-off and landing spots! We have a large outdoor cage for him to come into when he's hungry or thirsty or just wants some loving, and bedtime, he comes in for that, too, I bring him into the house for this. I truly respect your responses to posts that I have read and would respect what you would have to say on this.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
Mare miller, I appeciate the compliment and I'm obviously not the only person who can answer that, but I'll give it a shot.

If I understand correctly you are wondering if free flight is a good idea... right?

I believe in free flight whenever possible. Especially in 'toos, simply because of their emotional complexity.... if you are already free flighting him, then it should definately be continued. To stop would be akin to cutting off his wings. I always advise on keeping a VERY close watch on a free flighted bird, and monitor for preditors, etc... A free flighted bird should be watched closely for signs of illness (especially in Michigan and Wisconsin (because of black fly disease), also never under estimate the power of an angry bee or two, I had a macaw dumped here recently who clearly got in trouble with a hornet or two (according to owner), and he was in very rough shape. If he has favorite trees or a spot on the deck I advise on checking for bees and preditors before you put him out (a good pair of binoculars should suffice... :)

Go ahead and feel free anytime to message me any further questions, and if I don't know or you want a second opinion I'll be more than willing to put you in contact with other keepers, breeders, etc...

Now, back to topic.... lol

Somewhere on this forum I wrote a story called "life with cockatoos", or something like that... it might be called an afternoon nap, can't remember.... Essentiall it was a day when Moe ate my DVD's, my DVD shelf and how I just sort of gave up and realized there was nothing I could do...lol

When I first got my (my first U2) I went to the kitchen to get something and I suddenly realized Moe was way too quiet. I went to the living room and he was gone. Alarmed I ran to each room.... I found him in the guest bedroom with a bottle of Advil. He had succeeded in removing the cap and the moment I caught him he was tipping the bottle and the Advil were falling into his beak. He hadn't swallowed anyone, but after palpating his crop and driving to the vet I realized that one should "NEVER" turn their back on a cockatoo, NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND! The only safe place for a cockatoo when you aren't ACTIVELY watching is in a POWERFUL AND PAD LOCKED cage. Moe pops welds better than any hyacinth or greenwing I've ever owned. He somehow unscrews cages from the inside, (screws are on the outside, so I know he uses his toenail.

Cockatoos are also most likely to bite when they are suddenly excited or scared.... believe me, they can be afraid of some strange things.... Moe is TERRIFIED of Rabits, spiders, open windows after dark, and any furniture being moved. He also goes off his rocker when he sees a kennel. Lately he has decided that the asian beetles are also frightening. Cockatoos can be very unpredictable, and this is the biggest source of bites.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
Terms I'd use to descibe cockatoos...

OCD
Bi Polar
Scitzofrenic
Obessive stalker
An army of one
Tornado
Swiss army knife bird
Deafening
Colicky baby forever
Love sponge

I ask Moe all the time "Did you fall out the crazy tree with all the worlds other cockatoos?"

By the way, most breeders will say that of all parrot bites a cockatoos is the most painful. The bottom of their beak is VERY sharp and 2 points and so they bite down but they also move the lower beak from side to side in an instant.... the end result.... a puncture on top, and what looks like a deep razor blade slice on the bottom.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
hello shredded oaks, I can relate. I have the feeling I'm the only one on this sight that free flights my cockatoo, seeing that you're a senior member...can you tell me if I'm wrong? He loves the oak trees, he stays in his territory, (which is about a hundred yard radius around our house) and has modified our deck...radically!, I sand it out, stain it back to original color and it's beautiful! I call it cockatoo art! He has also, modified the oak trees to his liking, cleaning them up for take-off and landing spots! We have a large outdoor cage for him to come into when he's hungry or thirsty or just wants some loving, and bedtime, he comes in for that, too, I bring him into the house for this. I truly respect your responses to posts that I have read and would respect what you would have to say on this.

Sounds absolutely ideal... and if there are no wild birds of his species, he'll probably stay in the area...

If I knew for sure that my birds would join a group of wild Galahs and Shortbilled Corellas I would set them both free... I have wild Galahs visiting their aviary.

jusdeb

Feb 16, 2011
Hi , Im 50 and no longer work so one would think I could easily handle a cockatoo .
Wrong ... I love mi Corella dearly and would never part with her but its like having a permanent toddler to entertain 24/7 .
She chews anything she can get her beak on and although she is mostly quiet she has days of screaming where I could ring her neck.
I think at your age your life is so open to many many things and having a Cockatoo might hold toy back or force you to have to make a decision down the track that wont be very pleasant .
Im sorry to be a party pooper but I see so many rehomed large parrots that just never recover from losing their first owner .
These birds have love affairs with their owners and their little hearts break too easily .
So think about it and if your 100% certain you can make some sacrifices then go for it and enjoy the love of being a large parrot owner .
IMG_0903-1.jpg

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
OCD
Bi Polar
Scitzofrenic
Obessive stalker
An army of one
Tornado
Swiss army knife bird
Deafening
Colicky baby forever

As beautiful as all your birds are, you guys make me SO glad I have a conure and not a too. I'll just stick to admiring them in the wild. All parrots are difficult, but these guys seem to top the list!

As a fellow college/uni student, and also a parrot owner, make sure to evaluate your life first... Where do you see yourself after you finish your course? For myself personally, this will involve going from being on campus/gone from the house for afew hours a day with only one full day, to near full time work. Will it be similar for you? And is that an adjustment your selected species will be able to make? And so on. I've had to factor my conure into my future plans (both short and long term, we live in uni accommodation and doing so with pets is near impossible, even with permission... It takes a lot of planning! Medium term I plan to move back home after uni, around 2000km away, and I have had to factor him into those plans too. Of course, he is coming with me, but its all additional stress!) I don't think you should necessarily plan your life around this bird, but if you have hypothetical plans happening, make sure he fits into them!

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
What I'm looking for in a bird: I want something that I can spend time with, something that will grow to love me dearly, will trust me, and maybe even learn to talk a little bit or even possibly whistle with me. Something that I can cuddle with while watching tv at night or monitor / cuddle with while reading a book or doing something on a laptop. (I know this is all fantasy bird world, and it's not nearly always like this, but I want someday for my bird to be able to participate in these things) I knew somebody who's mom that had a bird so attached to her, it would go in the shower with her and follow her when she got out.

Also worth mentioning what the others have already covered, that you may or may not get a bird with these qualities... Most likely some, but not the others. I know like you said, you realise it is fantasy bird world, and yes, some people have wonderful birds just like that, but for the most part? We have little terrors, who we love and are loved back by!

Do you have your heart set on a large bird? Because I did until I met my little Jenday (when he was even littler! He had no feathers!) and he chose me... I though that was just crazy parrot talk until, of course, it happened to me. D'oh. I originally had my heart set on an ekkie or similar sized bird, and thought the male ekkies temperament would suit my lifestyle. I was actually at this breeders looking at an ekkie when I bought/found/was picked by Alex! A jenday is probably the worst choice for me sound wise (share housing!) but like they say, life is what happens while making plans, and he certainly is a huge part of my life.

Alex sticks to me like glue, but is happy to be placed on his cage or to entertain himself while I am out. He is naturally very happy-go-lucky like most conures I hear of... It is very hard to do something to annoy or make him worried. That said, he does spaz out at stupid things sometimes, but it seems to be more in glee (like when my phone rings) which can end up with him getting so worked up he crash lands and does it all over again. He cuddles with me while I am working on the laptop, and also while I am reading, though he has developed a penchant for chewing on books of late. He showers with me, but prefers to sit on the rail and only occasionally wants to join in. He doesn't really talk, he can kind of sat his name, but he does chirp and grunt along with me while I talk to him... He does a pretty bad imitation of my laugh to go along with it to! There is a strong bond between us, I love this crazy ball of feathers immensely, and he takes that love and returns it tenfold.

{If it wasn't for his crazy 'freak out at strange things' tendency, I trust this bond so much that I would have taken the plunge and started free flight training (Already has recall pretty down pat) but it's too risky with his easily spooked and bolt (Just like a crazy horse, groan) tendencies, and with how small he is I think he would be an easy target for hawks... We're pretty rural at the new place, they are everywhere. Too risky all considered}

What I'm saying is I think their are plenty of species (well, pretty much all of them) that have the potential to develop the tendencies/habits you want them to. If it turns out a too is not for you, have a look at some others :)

And are you looking to adopt or buy? Because if adopting, I hear some shelters will let you spend a few weeks or so with the bird in your home to make sure you are compatible before you commit to a life together... Kind of like dating! So you can make sure this on is THE one for you, and rescue a bird in need at the same time :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts