Injured foot

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Hey guys I took my conure to the vet for check up and grooming but they scrapped off a bit of his skin while grooming and it bled as well.
Initially they tried to pass it as if it was already there and they didnt do nothing but after some arguing they agreed to have the vet check on it free if charge. The vet applied antiseptic and an injection which he said will help with the pain if there is any.
However, they didnt cover the feet with anything due to fear of the bird picking on it. The vet assured us that it is not a big deal but considering how they tried to cover it I am still very much concerned. I was wondering if there is anything I should check to assess the severity and if I should be concerned.
Also what can I do to help with the healing process
Thanks

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry you’re here under such unfortunate circumstances!

Could you possibly post a picture of his foot?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Bird will probably be OK the vet not taking resposability worries me. My vet on the first visit always clips a nail close so I can get a DNA test sending it to florida. If they were up front, I'd be like ok it happens but a flat out denial IDK its suspect.

OP
J

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
This is what it looks like. He is very hesitant to put weight on it.
I was very worried about the fact that they denied and tried to blame it on us.
also they didnt put any bandage on it either.

Attachments

• C6536C7E-8AE1-4DCF-A791-147A9BCCDD99.jpeg
    C6536C7E-8AE1-4DCF-A791-147A9BCCDD99.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 37
OP
J

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry you’re here under such unfortunate circumstances!

Here is a close up picture

Attachments

• 4730BE08-FBF2-4F07-8D17-5347447CE80B.jpeg
    4730BE08-FBF2-4F07-8D17-5347447CE80B.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
J

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Welcome to the forums!

Sorry you’re here under such unfortunate circumstance
Here is a close up pi ik
Is there any other avian vet you can take him to? I would want a second opinion on treatment.
Unfortunately this is the only one near where I live. The 2nd closest is about 2 hours away in a different city and the appointment wont be until sometime next week which is not ideal at all.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
That's worrying that your vet did that. It's so difficult to find vets that will see birds though.

My budgie hurt his leg and it was bleeding and I put some cornflour on it to stop the bleeding and then kept him separate from the other birds for a couple of days until he was standing on it again. Until you can get him to another vet maybe that would help? My budgie made a full recovery and I didn't need to take him to the vet in the end (though I do have a vet that is very good with my birds, she recommends not to take them unless absolutely necessary as it can stress them out a lot)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That's worrying that your vet did that. It's so difficult to find vets that will see birds though.

My budgie hurt his leg and it was bleeding and I put some cornflour on it to stop the bleeding and then kept him separate from the other birds for a couple of days until he was standing on it again. Until you can get him to another vet maybe that would help? My budgie made a full recovery and I didn't need to take him to the vet in the end (though I do have a vet that is very good with my birds, she recommends not to take them unless absolutely necessary as it can stress them out a lot)
One of my budgies fractured her leg (femur). The vet diagnosed it by x-ray but he told me there was nothing he could do except prescribe pain medication. He told me to keep her in a cage with a padded bottom and very low perches and give it time to heal. It was a serious fracture but she healed. Vets don't always bandage bird injuries. Years ago another budgie fractured his wing and the vet immobilized his wing by taping it to his body. It also healed and he lived seven more years but he was never able to fly again. I know rhis is very upsetting but I think his leg will heal just fine.

OP
J

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Thank you guys so much. I think I am going to keep an eye on him for the next day or two and if he doesn’t get any better, get a second opinion.
My only concern at the moment is that from time to time he picks on his wound. this morning when I went to get him his beak was a bit red clearly indicating that he picked on his wound. Fortunately though there was no bleeding.

OP
J

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure

Hey thank u so much for the reply. I was wondering how long did it take your bird to heal and go back to normal. Its been 4 days although his wound is looking better, he still refuses to put any weight on it. He is less active than usual which is understandable I guess.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
when parrots fight, like for real, they always go for the feet. They have adapted to get thier feet up and going again, just like when you eat to hot pizza and it burns your mouth... it's fine in a few days. I'm not too worried. In my opinion.

OP
J

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
when parrots fight, like for real, they always go for the feet. They have adapted to get thier feet up and going again, just like when you eat to hot pizza and it burns your mouth... it's fine in a few days. I'm not too worried. In my opinion.
Thanks. Hopefully he will be fine as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts