Insect problem - need advice!

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I have a frustrating problem in that there is a growing number of tiny flies appearing in Alice's cage and I don't know what I can do to get rid of them? We've had a sudden period of very hot, humid weather locally and there are suddenly a lot of flies everywhere anyway, but I hate seeing them close to her food or perches.

I'm spot cleaning the cage and purchases and changing newspaper twice daily to remove any food debris and fecal matter (usually do this once a day) and have just deep cleaned the whole cage and surrounding area. I can't see anywhere they could be hatching but there are a dozen today where there were a few yesterday. I've temporarily removed her food dishes and will put out small amounts at a time for her, but I don't really like leaving her with pellets at least.

I'm also trying to trap them with a plate of food on the floor by the cage in an open plastic bag, sweeping the bag closed when there are a few in there and depositing outside which is having limited success in removing them. But is there anything else I can try that doesn't pose any threat to the bird? Obviously sprays are out, but might there be a more efficient way of trapping them?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
we've had a number of flies this summer as well,(over 70!) I currently have 4 flying around my computer and annoying me.

one day my daughter and I took two fly swatters and had a field day killing them all.

now we only have 4, those will be gone shortly:)

OP
Jayyj

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Well, at least we're not up to 70! I've trapped about 25 this evening, and there are only a couple left. I've been doing some googling about making traps (bowl with some skinned fruit in, cling film over the top with some holes punched for the flies to get in, and water bottles with fruit juice in them) so will do that tomorrow and leave them outside the cage.

Horrible things though.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I have a frustrating problem in that there is a growing number of tiny flies appearing in Alice's cage and I don't know what I can do to get rid of them? We've had a sudden period of very hot, humid weather locally and there are suddenly a lot of flies everywhere anyway, but I hate seeing them close to her food or perches.

I'm spot cleaning the cage and purchases and changing newspaper twice daily to remove any food debris and fecal matter (usually do this once a day) and have just deep cleaned the whole cage and surrounding area. I can't see anywhere they could be hatching but there are a dozen today where there were a few yesterday. I've temporarily removed her food dishes and will put out small amounts at a time for her, but I don't really like leaving her with pellets at least.

I'm also trying to trap them with a plate of food on the floor by the cage in an open plastic bag, sweeping the bag closed when there are a few in there and depositing outside which is having limited success in removing them. But is there anything else I can try that doesn't pose any threat to the bird? Obviously sprays are out, but might there be a more efficient way of trapping them?

Are they fruit flies?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Check your flower pots if you have house plants....they maybe having babies in the dirt. If so you'll have to dump out the pot of dirt and clean the pot well along with rinsing the plant root before repotting it again. They tend to come in inside bags of dirt. You can bake them first to kill off any bugs or eggs.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Believe it or not, those tiny flies come up from the drains. Pour bleach down your drains and you'll see a dramatic reduction. :)

OP
Jayyj

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Thanks guys. Yes, I think they're fruit flies.

My traps last night seem to have cleared the room the bird lives in, so I'll have to wait and see if any more appear. I only have one house plant at the moment, not in the bird room, but can easily repot that at the weekend, and I'll do the drains this morning.

Fingers crossed then...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I get those in my plant pots all the time, very hard to prevent and too many to repot here....lol....I have like 40+ house plants here....So I usually yap'em when I see them flying around....

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
Google 'penny in water to keep flies away.' Sounds weird but apparently it really works. I've yet to try it because thankfully I hardly get any flies but a friend said it worked a treat for her.

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
Google 'penny in water to keep flies away.' Sounds weird but apparently it really works. I've yet to try it because thankfully I hardly get any flies but a friend said it worked a treat for her.

Mythbusters tried it. Doesn't work.

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
I have a frustrating problem in that there is a growing number of tiny flies appearing in Alice's cage and I don't know what I can do to get rid of them?

At the bird center I go to, I saw a product on the shelf for fruitflys in the cage. It is some kind of sticky trap.

OP
Jayyj

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
I've seen wasp traps, don't know if they're similar? I think Scarlett's sell them, so if the problem persists into next week I could give them a ring. I can't imagine the local shop will have anything, although if all else fails they could probably sell me a lizard that would take care of them. I wonder how Alice would get on with a bearded dragon at the bottom of her cage?

No, I'm not going there...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
They do sell the fruit fly trap! We used to raise them then release after experiment in Biology Honors class...We had to mate to get certain genes then we had to put them to sleep to observe, had to do it quick or they'll wake up...we had them flying around in class for awhile cause they woke up before we can trap most of them...lol....

Most Reactions