Intro :) - I have a Meyers that I rescued.

MrCoconutParrot

Nov 13, 2013
Miami Beach, FL
Parrots
Meyers Parrot
Hello,
My name is Sloan. I live in Miami Beach, Florida. In July the security guard in my condo building found a parrot in our parking garage. The building staff had no idea what to do with this bird so I volunteered to take it to the vet and try to find the owner. The bird had a band but no microchip. I tried to find the owner by calling local vets and through social media. Nobody claimed him. I decided after spending a lot of money at the vet - to keep the bird. He is healthy and is a male (I had the dna blood test done on him). He was malnourished and dehydrated but otherwise he was good.

It is now 5 months later and Coconut is doing great. I never had his wings clipped and I think I may need to now. I live in a small apartment and he has a nice cage with toys. He prefers to be out of his cage but since I work during the day, he must be inside. When I am home he is out and flies around.

My new problem is that I can not get him back into the cage. He knows when it is bedtime and flies away. Perched on a ceiling light fixture, refusing to come down. Sometimes our before bedtime chase can take an hour. One night I just could not get him and he slept on the lighting fixture.

This is not good for him or me. I feel so sad about having his wings clipped. Will he hate me? I feel like it is taking his "arms" away. I am hoping in the long run the wing clipping will make him less "bitey". At this point, he is the ruling the apartment, not me. He is the dominant and I am the submissive. Don't get me wrong, when he wants to get petted and play, he hops on my shoulder and is a sweetheart.

I am looking for some advice & support on the fact that I have to have his wings clipped! Would also love to hear from any other Meyers parrot people!

Sloan

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I would recommend having his wings clipped as I imagine that is how he wound up in the parking garage. He most likely flew out of someone's home and went into the parking garage to escape a predator. This will also help bond with your bird because he will have to rely on you to get from one place to the other.

But this is just my personal opinion, because opinions differ greatly when it comes to wing clipping. To me, an unclipped bird is just an accidently flight out of an open door or window. I have lost 2 that way and never to be seen again.

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
No, he will not hate you. Chances are that he wouldn't associate you with his inability to fly even if you clipped the wings yourself.

Most Reactions