Introducing my two birds to each other

nemoluna

Feb 8, 2016
Parrots
Lyze, cockaitel and Loki, parrotlet
So I was wondering about the best way to introduce Loki the Parrotlet to Lyze the Cockatiel. I know they can't (or shouldn't really) be housed together since Loki thinks he's the size of a macaw and would probably pick on sweet Lyze, but I still would like for them to socialize in a neutral setting if possible.

Just looking for advice/ideas from those who have maybe done something similar? Thanks guys :) :white1: :yellow2:

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
I started off with a parakeet. Got a cockatiel. Got a meet. Got a tiel.

Honestly I just brought them home and kept in cage for a few days. Then I just let them out and watched for aggression.The exception being the last tiel who was quarantined because she was a found bird.

I am fortunate that they all get along well.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
The first few times they are out together they may bluff and threaten each other, close supervision may be needed until you are sure they aren't going to hurt each other. If you leave cage doors open while they are out, you may want to cover the tops of the cages, if one bird is inside and the other lands on top, toes may be endangered. Check for hazards before you let them out together, a frightened bird is more likely to to hurt himself trying to escape, that's not likely to happen but it doesn't hurt to be extra cautious until you get to know both birds and can predict their behavior. Most birds enjoy being out and are more interested in human interaction than getting to know their flockmates.

Most Reactions