Introducing young Sun Conure and Quaker

thunderbird

Aug 9, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Sun conure
Does anyone have any advice about how to introduce birds together safely? I train guide dogs for the blind for a living, and we have a procedure to minimize protective behaviors and stress when introducing a guide dog to the family dog. This bit of info makes me wonder if there are established best practices for introducing birds?

My 6 month old sun conure travels with me frequently. (We have already conquered two hotels). My little bird seems pretty adventurous and outgoing. My coworker has a Quaker, about a year old, and frequently travels with us. Neither of us know the sex of our birds.

We don't have to introduce them, but they did seem interested in each other on the car ride (lots of happy, funny noises). I admit I have visions of the birds playing together on the elaborate parroty hotel play areas we design.

Any thoughts? I'm kind of a safety nerd and am a little scared for the little birds if something goes wrong. :orange:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You can slowly introduce them together to see their reactions and needed to separate them asap....

Most Reactions