IRN or Alex? and why?

OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Unfortunately it seems that you feel any sort of direct answer is rude and aggressive if it isn't the answer you were hoping for. While I do try to give helpful insight, clearly it is not wanted here. For that reason I will respect your wishes and my own dignity by allowing others to answer your questions rather than subjecting myself to your attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you very much. I appreciate your decision since I have already felt this type of behavior from you in the past when I actually entered this forum for the very first time.
Great decision.

And thank you Outlaw for your short to the point answer.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have an Alex and 2 IRNs, and none of them are cuddly, nor are they very talkative.
I do think your responses to Dani were out of line...she took time out of her day to try to answer your question, only to be told she was wrong. If an answer is too long for you to read, the proper thing to do is skim it, thank them for their time and move on. No need for rudeness.

maverickbull

Jun 18, 2016
Bangalore, India
Parrots
Alexandrine (hulk)
IRN (honey)
CAG (red)
Based on my experience :)
Both aren't cuddly
IRNs
Much better at letting you pet them stroke their head, neck
Amazing amount of energy
Really sweet natural sounds
Wonderful talkers (in birdie voice)
Not so much of a fussy eater
Quite Hardy
Alex
Not so handsy
You can carry them around but don't like touching so much
Love destroying anything they get their beaks on
They're natural sounds are much higher in pitch compared to IRNs (your neighbors might complain)
Total foodies
Much calmer & quieter than IRNs
Personally I love the Alex - amazingly beautiful bird with three different shades of green, yellow, blue, maroon patch & the most cutest face :D

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
I have an Alex and 2 IRNs, and none of them are cuddly, nor are they very talkative.
I do think your responses to Dani were out of line...she took time out of her day to try to answer your question, only to be told she was wrong. If an answer is too long for you to read, the proper thing to do is skim it, thank them for their time and move on. No need for rudeness.

First of, thank you for your answer.
You should know that I was very appreciative to Silver and I have no problem with long reading. For some reason, instead of understanding me when I was commenting back to her respond she right away jumped on me saying that I am UPSET when I wasn't in any way and then continued to so called enlighten me for how much she knows better and I know nothing etc..

Unfortunately, that same behavior coming from her happened once before when I first entered this forum. I have no issues with long writing when someone is polite and wants to help. Especially, when after such long writing you at least get an answer. But she kept going on and on going round and round mostly to prove that I don't know what I want, but didn't provide any clear answer - yes or no. Despite all that, I do apologize if she felt that it is my attitude that was wrong while I felt that she is the one being rude and playing ego.

Again, I do apologize to her and thank her for the time and advice.

OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Thank you Maverickbull for such a marvelous response.
Much appreciated

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
First of all, I answered your questioned based on my own experience. I never suggested you know nothing. I really don't appreciate this personal attack.

Second, you keep insisting I have been rude to you in the past; please provide an example of this.

OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
First of all, I answered your questioned based on my own experience. I never suggested you know nothing. I really don't appreciate this personal attack.

Second, you keep insisting I have been rude to you in the past; please provide an example of this.

As I said, this is how I felt. But again, I do apologize and I really don't think we should continue this right here since this is really not the place. I will need to search for my first thread here it was a while ago, but it would be appropriate to stop this argument which really helps no one. And I do apologize yet again and thank you for your answers and effort.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
1) you ask which is better based on certain things

2) I give my recommendation

3) you tell me I am wrong

4) I explain my experience and why I believe I am right.

5) you explain that you still want an answer, you want it to be SHORT, and ask me to continue sharing my views.

6) I explain In as SHORT a way as possible that your desired behaviors have more to do with raising than species.

7) you ask for other parrot recommendations

8) I explain SHORTLY that I don't know you well enough to answer that question

9) You then proceed to imply that I am an egotistical bully intending only to bury you in philosophy just to confuse you. You say say I am rude, go around the bush, don't know how to explain myself, that I am aggressive, offensive, and again, rude. You accuse me of thinking you are not smart, of jumping on you, of laying the smack down on you, of being shameful, and again, egotistical. All without siting a single EXAMPLE of this behavior.

10) feeling attacked, I choose to let others help you from here on since clearly no matter how hard I try my help isn't welcome.

11) you then accuse me of having treated you poorly in the past, but don't give an example.

12) when a SECOND member calls you out for your behavior, you claim to have been appreciative of me. You then again accuse me of jumping on you, treating you like you know nothing, again mention that I have supposedly done this in the past. You go on to claim that I was going around and around to intentionally prove you don't know what you want. Then you apologize to me "if I felt you were being rude" BUT insist you were not, that I am the one being rude (thus meaning, you arent really sorry).

Usually I would just leave, but I've had enough of bullies lately. I was not rude to you. You have been calling names and making unfounded accusations. I will not accept blame for these by staying silent as if I somehow was out of line here. I wasn't.

For the record, I'm attaching screen shots of THE ONLY other time you and I have ever interacted. PLEASE by all means point out which parts of my ONLY PREVIOUS ANSWER TO YOU were rude, aggressive, offensive, etc.

db777c24712199c6082fceafac5aa104.jpg

beeb0135fbfedf1400e758781740b9e8.jpg

OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Silversage, I remember now that time at my first thread when things have gone out of hand when someone was very rude welcoming, that one of the managers of the forum had then deleted all the negative comments after he approached me personally on PM and apologized for that rude welcome. He then reshaped that thread and left only those parts that were about the subject. Well, I can't prove or remember now for sure if that was part from you but your nickname kept calling the bel today when you responded on this thread and this is why I got so irritated this time. Maybe it wasn't you then, so I do ask you to forgive and forget.
I'm really sorry for this outcome which went much to far.
I thank you again and apologize for the fifth time now.

Added a screenshot of one of the PM

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170421-052915.jpg
    Screenshot_20170421-052915.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
It wasn't me then, and nothing I said was out of line today either. Please refrain from further accusations against my character or those of others. You apologies mean nothing when you follow them with the word "but."

Since the productivity of this conversation has come to an end I will not push it further. But please be aware that I've opened a new chapter in my life; one where I stand up for myself when necessary. Good day to you. I truly hope you end up with the right bird for you.

OP
D

Drara

Jan 5, 2017
Thank you for your understanding and hope you have no hard feelings. I guess my welcoming thread was quite traumatic for me and therefore I have responded in this manner today. Sorry and goodbye

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
I live in an apartment and my alex is not very noisy at all but she can be loud sometimes in the morning/afternoon for abouts 2mins only, I choose alex simply for the fact that they are alot bigger and have cuter heads (to me!) Generally alexandrines are very laid back and sometimes nicknamed the gentle giants.. I've encountered both species a few times and found them all equally to be more hands-off birds, for example I really believe if I spent the same time/attention/affection with a conure or cockatoo it would be preening me all day long and begging for cuddles! in saying that my alex has come along way in 5months..started off lunging at me and hated petting to now stepping up from inside of her cage, lays on her back on my palm and 'sort-of' enjoys petting all over (I still desire more affection and don't feel i'm getting back what I give if you know what I mean) you very well might be dissapointed with either bird if cuddles/affection is a big thing for you

Last edited:

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It was I that you had a prior problem with, not SilverSage, so you owe her an apology. You should make sure of these things before you accuse people of prior rudeness and then use that false, prior rudeness as ammo.

As I recall you didn't like my answers to your questions either, or the way I answered them. You tried to instruct me on how to answer your questions just as you did here to SilverSage, and you actually gave me a "format" to use in order to answer you...I can't believe you have the nerve to call someone else "egotistical", lol. You ask questions, people answer them, and when you don't like the answer they give you, you not only disagree with them and basically tell them they know nothing, but you actually give them a format to use in answering you that is up to your standards. That's not egotistical at all...Or hypocritical.

Either way, I wasn't down with it, and instead of pulling punches with you, I just came out and told you that you should not get any species of pet bird due to your lack of time to spend with them. I still stand by that statement, though I was wrong in the way I answered you, as your attitude at the time really got under my skin and I lost my temper.

So double-check who you're accusing of things from now on before you do it, because that was a big mistake you just made.

And if there is a certain format that you would like answers to be written in, like "Yes or No", or whatever other stipulations you have on answers people give you, like their answers must not in any way go against what it is that you ideally want, please state as much in your original post so that we don't bother to answer you in the first place.

And for the record, neither Indian Ringnecks or Alexandrines are typically"good talkers" at all, nor do they like to be touched much at all. So I guess my answer is "No", and "Neither".

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
oh dear! It's a bit distressing to read this thread, but I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone, including the OP, for this thread. I have been considering an IRN for several months (to the point of even contacting a local rescue) and recently learned of Alexandrines so this thread was spot on for me. Alas, I will be ruling them out---I want a cuddler too--and something semi-compatible for Wrangler. And thanks to the senior members here who have helped me learn so much in the last year by sharing both their wisdom and wit (not necessarily in that order)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
oh dear! It's a bit distressing to read this thread, but I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone, including the OP, for this thread. I have been considering an IRN for several months (to the point of even contacting a local rescue) and recently learned of Alexandrines so this thread was spot on for me. Alas, I will be ruling them out---I want a cuddler too--and something semi-compatible for Wrangler. And thanks to the senior members here who have helped me learn so much in the last year by sharing both their wisdom and wit (not necessarily in that order)

Wise choice :) I obviously LOVE IRNs (I'm addicted to them in fact) but they really aren't for everyone. It's interesting to me how many species have come OFF my "dream bird" list the longer I've been around parrots. Such as all macaws, greys, Cockatoo's (though rose breasted MIGHT be an exception; I need more info/experience) hawk heads, lorikeets, sun conures, golden conures, darbian parakeets, English budgies, amazons, Meyers, Senegals , and a TON of others lol. All super fantastic birds, but not ideal fits for my lifestyle.

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hi, I made this decision a couple of months ago. I must admit I was never that keen on IRNs, I was more deciding between a small macaw or Alex. I went with an Alex. I wanted a bird that will sit on me, play and hopefully tolerate a harness in the future, but I don't mind about cuddles so an Alex was perfect. I like the size too. I believe IRNs can untame quickly and can be tricky to tame in the first place. My Alex is gentle, very clever and easy to train, we haven't reached the bluffing stage yet... He does shout morning and evening, but usually only for a few minutes. He's never woken me up and doesn't shout until I open the curtains and feed him. I do love the outraged way IRNs do that leaning backwards, open their eyes wide and 'talk' either words or IRN thing though, it's very endearing!

Most Reactions