Is an Ethanol Fireplace Dangerous for Parrots?

Bering

Aug 12, 2016
Hi

Finally my family is moving into a small house on the countryside. It's an old building so it can get a bit cold in the winter. Plus it has been a long wish to have a fireplace. However since we are renting, we cannot install a fireplace.

However we might be able to install a free standing Ethanol Fireplace. You can read more about what that is here:
http://www.greenethanolfireplaces.com/ethanol-fireplaces-pros-and-cons

However I am unsure if it is dangerous for parrots. I've read it does not produce dangerous fumes, when using ethanol drafted for use inside. And it only lets off steam and CO2.

The house is not tightly insulated and previously when we've had candles lit, in the same room as the parrot (Him being in the cage, of course) we also have a window slightly open.

Would this be a bad idea, considering to get an ethanol fireplace in the living room, where the parrot also lives?

I hope some people might know more about this. :green:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understanding that CO2 is released from burning any product (including candles) is the same stuff that kills in homes and autos from faulty systems. Such products are sold based on their abilities to heat a single, fairly small area and the joy of watching their flames.

The best source for knowledge regarding the safety of such products is your local Fire Department. In addition to the gases released, they can also confirm that such products (including candles) are one of the leading causes of home fires. FYI: Also ask them about the safety of Fire Places or any of the wood burning stoves.

*** Dangerous for all members of your home.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LOL, you are putting a parrot in a draughty environment with lots of fluctuation in temperatures and you worry about something like this instead of... "whoa, how do we keep him healthy in those conditions?".

Having a parrot (uncaged) near a naked flame is flirting with disaster anyway.
(and I love a good fire, so I get it! but think outside the fireplace plze)
But you got that under controll.

You will need a supply of fresh air indeed; CO2 is not that great in high concentrations but CO will kill... so also place a carbon-monoxide-detector (not a canary plze ;) ) in the room as well (and make sure it is a certified one, there are some really crappy ones out there).

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It is likely a bit risky, due to potential fumes from the ethanol (maybe?) and the burning itself (+the flame) and no chimney. The again, so are drafts...You need to try and fine a way to prevent the bird's room temp from fluctuating all over as does a room with a fireplace.
If using a space heater call to verify that the parts that get hot do not contain teflon/ptfoa/ptfe.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
A minor correction, carbon dioxide(CO2) is not carbon monoxide(CO)!Carbon monoxide is the killer, but I would be very concerned about higher levels of carbon dioxide building up in the room! I would still search for something that vents outside and also draws its air from outside.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I would say this is a big no for multiple reasons that have already been listed above. As far as the ethanol goes, it's going to burn-off into the air, so that can't be good at all for the bird, and then with a fireplace that is not venting outside, you're actually putting everyone at risk.

Just an FYI for you too, an ethanol-fueled fireplace is not going to keep a room very warm anyway. Ethanol is a horrible fuel, it's evaporates instantly and I can't imagine how in the world you would keep the fireplace burning for very long, and the amount of heat it's going to produce will be minimal, probably only right around the flames, which your bird obviously cannot be ever...Either way, it's not going to heat an average-size living room. So I'd say that the bigger problem is keeping your parrot warm in that house safely.

Again, if you consider any type of spaceheaters, which will be much more efficient for heating the room, even when considering the electric bill, than ethanol will, please call the manufacturers to make sure that they are PTOA and PTFE free (and Teflon free).

***Best practice when you own a bird is to totally avoid any and all products that produce any type of fumes, especially ones that are fed by any type of "fuel", and ones that are not going to be vented to outside. I understand wanting a fireplace, but not at the risk of killing your bird.

Quick story, my house is a 3-story, split-level house. So my "basement" level is actually the walk-out level to the garage and the driveway, and my second floor, which is the main living floor, is level with the elevated front yard...My basement is fully finished, it has a room at the front of the house which is carpeted and that is an exercise room with a Boflex and exercise bike, along with a couch, tv, etc. Then there is a large "foyer" that is tiled and has a bunch of closets, and the door that goes upstairs is there. And finally a laundry room that has a half-bathroom. In the "foyer" I have a really cool, old wood stove, and the house has a real chimney that it's connected to. I have a CO monitor down there, of course, but I have to tell you that I'm always scared to death to even light a fire in it. And the birds are never down there, not ever, accept for an occasional ride on my shoulder to do laundry, lol. It's freezing down there in the winter, because it is half underground. It has electric baseboard heat, but it's still cold, like 60 degrees F maximum, so I will very rarely buy some wood and light a fire down there, and in 10 minutes it's toasty warm throughout the entire basement. But the entire time I'm down there trying to work-out, I am constantly worrying about the fumes and my birds, who are by the way 2 stories up! And I have a chimney!

So it's anything with "fumes" that you need to avoid, especially fumes from any type of fuel, and especially because it's not vented at all to outside. If you had a chimney or a hole in the wall for piping to go outside, etc., then I'd still worry about the ethanol...and I know very well that ethanol burns-off pretty instantaneously (which is why this would make a horrible heating source)...but I still wouldn't do it...

BTW, I actually just took a look online at these ethanol fireplaces, and after just glancing at a few different websites and some reviews/forums with comments, they are really not meant to produce a lot of heat, and certainly not meant to be an actual heat source for your house...they are simply "decorative", so you have a "fireplace" to watch. So this is not an answer to your cold, drafty living room.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Is anyone else stuck thinking ā€œethanol fireplace? What a great waste of booze!!ā€

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LOL, I would not drink pure ethanol -- but as fuel goes it is bloody expensive and not very efficient, so you might as well get drunk en feel warm that way ;D

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Is anyone else stuck thinking ā€œethanol fireplace? What a great waste of booze!!ā€

:D

I was picturing them sitting around this fireplace, when someone yells out "The fire's going out, it's getting cold!", and then someone gets up, grabs a handle of Vodka, and starts pouring it into the back of their fireplace..."Little for me, little for the fireplace. Little for me, little for the fireplace".

Seriously, I hadn't ever heard of this before this morning when I first read this post, so I Googled it, and it's exactly what I thought. It's meant to be more decorative than functional, as ethanol would be a horrible fuel if you are trying to produce heat.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
LOLLLLLL
Why watch the flames when you can feel them internally?!?! HAHAH (jk)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Rarely does a thread have me sighing in worry and then giggling in glee as this one has.
Y'all are relentless!

Most Reactions