Is an irn right for me?

Natberry

Apr 30, 2016
Parrots
Lemonhead, the budgerigar with an attitude.
I've had my budgies for a couple years now, and ever since the loss of one of my pets, I've felt like something's missing. I don't feel complete. I've been thinking of adding to the flock, and have been searching endlessly for the right parrot for me. I really do think that an irn's needs are something I can handle, but I would like some opinions from experienced owners.

Here's what I can offer to an irn:

2 hours each day on weekdays, 7 hours on weekends.
I have enough money for the bird and the cage, and an additional $100 for toys and food.
Im available to fresh fruits and vegetables, along with pellets and seeds.
I live with my parents, and siblings, who all love my current bird.
I live in the suburbs, so noise isn't an issue.

My only concern is that I'm not ready for an irn, as I have never gotten the chance to interact with one. As said before, I have tamed budgies, and maintained a good relationship. :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
More importantly, how old are you? You say you live with your parents. If you are still in school it might be a good idea to hold of until you get settled in your adult life before you commit to something more than a budgie.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Impressive you have tamed Budgies :)

OP
N

Natberry

Apr 30, 2016
Parrots
Lemonhead, the budgerigar with an attitude.
As for both repliers above, thankyou for answering! I'm currently 16, and I'm leaning towards irns because in my research at least, I noticed that they are not complete love sponges, but still need lots of attention. I also like the size of them. They're not intimidating, which will make the bonding go along quicker for the both of us. I'm also more comfortable with parrots of that size, as I've worked with the neighbors fiesty little cockatiel, Petrie.

I know an irn may be a little bit too much, but I want something that's a bit more work than budgies, lovebirds, and cockatiels. I'm very open to suggestions:)

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
More importantly, how old are you? You say you live with your parents. If you are still in school it might be a good idea to hold of until you get settled in your adult life before you commit to something more than a budgie.

I disagree. We have seen a few teen's on the forum that proved they were more than capable of handling a Parrot. I think Tab was in her teens when she Trained Fargo and did a amazing job.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA

I disagree. We have seen a few teen's on the forum that proved they were more than capable of handling a Parrot. I think Tab was in her teens when she Trained Fargo and did a amazing job.

I'm torn on this. I have NO issue with teens/young adults owning parrots. I think the key is having parrots who are 100% on board AND can commit to ownership responsibilities as well. Although life can change at any age, at this age things to consider are extracurricular activities, going on to college or the workforce, finances during transitions, housing (often apartments), ect.

I got my first bird at age 8 and my first large bird at age 13, but my dad was particularly involved in all aspects.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Instill the love and respect of nature .

Check Henpected . Look at his avatar. I agree they need back up and support but never ever discourage. You just never know

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
My first big bird was an IRN that i got when i was 12. He was easily the most awesome bird that i ever had. We player fetch, peek a boo, hide and seek, and he was my best friend.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I think IRN's are great birds! How can I not considering I'm owned by a big blue booger? They aren't as likely to pluck which is wonderful. But they are likely to becoming screamers from what I've seen and experienced. You have to ensure you do have enough time, and personally I don't think two hours a day is enough if the bird doesn't have an exceptionally large cage with lots and lots of toys. If I only gave my IRN two hours out a day for majority of the week, he would scream all day long and would be absolutely miserable. But that's anecdotal. My IRN loves flying and needs to burn his energy, and because of that he needs at least four hours out a day.

He's also exceptionally bonded to me, and if I'm gone he screams even if my boyfriend is with him. I do my best not to reinforce it, but it's in his nature to make constant vocalizations. From the moment he's awake to the moment he's asleep he is constantly chatting. Some IRN's may not be needy, but mine is the exception. He demands 45 minutes to an hour of cuddling every night from me, and if he doesn't see me for a day he's absolutely miserable (according to my boyfriend).

My personal list of cons regarding IRN's:

- They need to stay flighted to burn their energy. IMHO, they aren't a species that does well clipped. It's possible and many people do it, but I know Shiko would become aggressive and unhappy if I were to ever clip him
- Their calls are very, very hard on the ears for a lot of people and they can be exceptionally vocal. If Shiko sounds off on my shoulder, my ear will ring. His screams can be heard from the top floor of the house we live in, and we live in a basement suite. So noise may not be an issue for other people in your area, but it might be for your family
- They are INTELLIGENT! And because of this they NEED highly interactive individuals with them and an interactive environment. I have yet to find a foraging toy my IRN couldn't figure out. He generally solves them within 5 minutes of first encountering it
- They are considered a "wilder" bird, and it can take a lot of time to have a tame bird that wants to physically interact with you. If you get an IRN, I highly recommend a breeder who socializes their babies in many different situations
- They need large cages, which can be hard on the budget. A minimum of 27" x 23" x 54" in my opinion. If you can go larger, I recommend it
- Active minds mean active bodies. You'll rarely encounter an IRN who is lazy. That means when they're out, expect to entertain them or they'll find trouble to entertain themselves with
- They often have a fear of hands, which they often have to be trained out of, and this can be harder with them than other species

Pros:

- Their intelligence makes them SUPER easy to train
- They will entertain you for hours on end with their hilarious conversation
- You'll never be bored with them as your companion
- The amount of love they are capable of giving is endless. I love cuddling my boy and saying I love you only to hear it be said back
- You'll be stumped figuring out how to stump them, which can be a fun challenge in itself
- Their colours are beautiful to look at and the combinations are almost endless
- They don't tend to be picky eaters for the most part, or at least from what I've seen. They're very food motivated!

Now my list of pros and cons is anecdotal. You only need to take them at face value and they may not apply to your bird. Personally I don't recommend IRNs as companions if you don't have a lot of time to offer consistently, just because of their activity requirements physically and mentally. They tend to flourish is highly interactive environments. That being said every bird should have lots of interaction and time out, but some species handle less time better than others.

I highly recommend YouTubing a screaming IRN and putting it at max volume. If you can't find one, I'll be more than happy to provide one [emoji12]. I really think it's important to think about the cons when it comes to birds. So many people get larger birds because of their ability to interact or talk on a deeper level, then condemn the bird when it does vocalize or demand interaction when it doesn't have those requirements met. Definitely mull it over and do your best to find exceptional IRN breeders near you, or look for rescues near you who have IRNs that you can interact with. Even going to a pet store that has an IRN you can handle would be a great experience. But good on you for doing the research and being critical about such a huge investment! It's wonderful meeting individuals who truly value the animal and are willing to put the work in before the animal even comes home. [emoji4]

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Christine, don nailed what I was eluding to. All due respect to our captain, times are different now.

It's not that the OP is 16, I had a red throated conure at that age. it's everything that COMES WITH being 16: extracurricular activities, dating, college which is a beast unto itself. Often you can't take pets to college so the parents get stuck with care. Certainly happened with my conure. She actually passed away as a result of this arrangement. Parents went away for a week and left my brothers in charge. She was kept in a side room. They couldn't take her screaming, and covered her up. Forgot about her for days. Needless to say, it's still VERY difficult for me to talk about. I know it was an accident and I don't blame my brothers at all. but it's a shame I carry around that she died because I couldn't give her the care she needed and deserved.

Believe me, my experience is NOT atypical (not the dead bird, but being able to care for them properly in general).

This is why I always tell teens on here looking to own substantial birds "WAIT until your life is settled". Because it's very true: as an older teen life is going to be transitioning for the better part of a decade and they don't need something like a bird making that more difficult. It's hard enough finding Someone to watch your dog when you go for spring break. A bird?? Forget it. As a 32 year old with a good job I can afford to board Parker for as long as needed. Can't do that as a young 20 something.

Most Reactions

Latest posts