Is Breville air purifier safe to use around my Conure?

Ladox

Jan 4, 2022
Australia
Parrots
June, Rose-crowned Conure, 31st October 2019
Ok so not too long ago my dad got me an air purifier for my birthday, however Iā€™m unsure if itā€™s safe to use around my conure (a rose crown Conure, similar size to a GCC). I think it emits ozone (it calls it a microbe shield though) but it can be turned off in the settings. The brand is Breville and Iā€™m wondering if anyone knows if this is safe to use as long as I donā€™t turn the microbe shield on or if anyone has any experience with this product and your thoughts on it? I told my dad about my doubts but I still set it up and said Iā€™d use it because I donā€™t want to basically tell him I donā€™t like it because Iā€™m suspicious of it and insult him in a way since he spent money on this and it would feel very disrespectful. I have avoided using it since I got it but I would actually like to use it so I just need to know itā€™s safe. I canā€™t seem to find anyone whoā€™s used this specific brand with birds online though and their opinions on it..

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ok so not too long ago my dad got me an air purifier for my birthday, however Iā€™m unsure if itā€™s safe to use around my conure (a rose crown Conure, similar size to a GCC). I think it emits ozone (it calls it a microbe shield though) but it can be turned off in the settings. The brand is Breville and Iā€™m wondering if anyone knows if this is safe to use as long as I donā€™t turn the microbe shield on or if anyone has any experience with this product and your thoughts on it? I told my dad about my doubts but I still set it up and said Iā€™d use it because I donā€™t want to basically tell him I donā€™t like it because Iā€™m suspicious of it and insult him in a way since he spent money on this and it would feel very disrespectful. I have avoided using it since I got it but I would actually like to use it so I just need to know itā€™s safe. I canā€™t seem to find anyone whoā€™s used this specific brand with birds online though and their opinions on it..
I read Breville's website and learned that their air purifiers work the same way as Honeywell and Filtrete, both of which I am very familiar with (I use Honeywell's). The only difference is the microbe protection feature which is not ozone related. It uses UV light to "destroy" airborne microbes. This is not a problem for birds because the light is inside the machine. The air leaves the machine after being exposed to UV light and doesn't "contain" anything potentially dangerous.
I would use this product but I suspect the replacement filters are very expensive because they are round (not flat) and difficult to duplicate. I can't think of any reason to turn off the microbe killing feature.

OP
Ladox

Ladox

Jan 4, 2022
Australia
Parrots
June, Rose-crowned Conure, 31st October 2019
I read Breville's website and learned that their air purifiers work the same way as Honeywell and Filtrete, both of which I am very familiar with (I use Honeywell's). The only difference is the microbe protection feature which is not ozone related. It uses UV light to "destroy" airborne microbes. This is not a problem for birds because the light is inside the machine. The air leaves the machine after being exposed to UV light and doesn't "contain" anything potentially dangerous.
I would use this product but I suspect the replacement filters are very expensive because they are round (not flat) and difficult to duplicate. I can't think of any reason to turn off the microbe killing feature.
Thank you so much, I will still make sure to keep an eye on it and see how it goes, ive just been worried about potentially hurting my bird. Thank you for the info!

Most Reactions

Latest posts