Is it safe to bring my bird to a room where chemical cleaners are used?

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
My family refuses to stop using chemical cleaners in the living room which is where me and my bird spend lots of time.They clean the couch with Clorox and use windex in the windows. Iā€™m wondering if it can still be safe to bring my parrot there if I let it air out for a specific time. And if so, how long would I have to wait?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I think it should be fine--if you can smell the cleaners, then open the windows and wait. If it's been long enough that you can no longer smell the cleaners, then you're probably fine... I would say, once you can no longer smell the cleaners, give it another hour or so just to be safe (birds' air sacs are more sensitive than our noses after all) and then you should be good.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I think it should be fine--if you can smell the cleaners, then open the windows and wait. If it's been long enough that you can no longer smell the cleaners, then you're probably fine... I would say, once you can no longer smell the cleaners, give it another hour or so just to be safe (birds' air sacs are more sensitive than our noses after all) and then you should be good.
Thank you so much! I will definitely do this.

BirdMommie

Mar 15, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Cockatiel
Lovebird
Rosey Bourkes
My family refuses to stop using chemical cleaners in the living room which is where me and my bird spend lots of time.They clean the couch with Clorox and use windex in the windows. Iā€™m wondering if it can still be safe to bring my parrot there if I let it air out for a specific time. And if so, how long would I have to wait?
I would not bring the bird into the living room while you can still smell the chemicals. Those fumes are deadly for birds since they have very sensitive respiratory systems. I lost a bird once to fumes from an over heated non-stick pan.
Ask your family to please use natural cleaning products instead of chemicals.
Let them read this reply.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I would not bring the bird into the living room while you can still smell the chemicals. Those fumes are deadly for birds since they have very sensitive respiratory systems. I lost a bird once to fumes from an over heated non-stick pan.
Ask your family to please use natural cleaning products instead of chemicals.
Let them read this reply.
Thank you!! This is what Iā€™ve been trying to tell them! Would you know by any chance any good cleaners for removing bird poop from couches? Because thatā€™s where they use all the chemicals.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Thank you!! This is what Iā€™ve been trying to tell them! Would you know by any chance any good cleaners for removing bird poop from couches? Because thatā€™s where they use all the chemicals.
Poop Off!!!!!!

It works magic tbh. It's an enzymatic cleaner--honestly, even the "knock off" enzymatic cleaners you can find online and places like the bird aisle in Petsmart are super effective, but Poop Off is my go-to. It is not only non toxic, it also works better than chemical cleaners for bird poop.

For Poop Off to work though, you do need to sometimes let it soak into the poop before trying to wipe with a rag. And in cases of serious mess that's been neglected for a very long time you may need to use the Poop Off to remove the caked on poop, and then a disinfectant to make the area truly look clean... Poop Off, as far as I know, only helps remove the dried poop, it does not disinfect and you shouldn't expect it to. But something like vinegar and hot water does disinfect and the Poop Off does the heavy lifting when it comes to removing the visible poop mess.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Poop Off!!!!!!

It works magic tbh. It's an enzymatic cleaner--honestly, even the "knock off" enzymatic cleaners you can find online and places like the bird aisle in Petsmart are super effective, but Poop Off is my go-to. It is not only non toxic, it also works better than chemical cleaners for bird poop.

For Poop Off to work though, you do need to sometimes let it soak into the poop before trying to wipe with a rag. And in cases of serious mess that's been neglected for a very long time you may need to use the Poop Off to remove the caked on poop, and then a disinfectant to make the area truly look clean... Poop Off, as far as I know, only helps remove the dried poop, it does not disinfect and you shouldn't expect it to. But something like vinegar and hot water does disinfect and the Poop Off does the heavy lifting when it comes to removing the visible poop mess.
Thank you so much!!! Thatā€™s exactly what I need lol. Iā€™ll make sure to find some! šŸ˜ƒ

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Thank you so much!!! Thatā€™s exactly what I need lol. Iā€™ll make sure to find some! šŸ˜ƒ
You're so welcome lol. Fwiw, I've used Poop Off on vinyl couches, tile/linoleum floors, cage bars, perches, toys... AND carpet/fabric. It seems like it can be used on anything lol. Mysteriously, I've also found that Poop Off is better at removing diet coke spill stains from carpet than carpet cleaner is, lol.

My recommendation: buy a spray bottle of Poop Off from either a pet store or Amazon, so that you have something to pour refills into, and then buy the gallon jugs. It's much cheaper to buy Poop Off in bulk.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
You're so welcome lol. Fwiw, I've used Poop Off on vinyl couches, tile/linoleum floors, cage bars, perches, toys... AND carpet/fabric. It seems like it can be used on anything lol. Mysteriously, I've also found that Poop Off is better at removing diet coke spill stains from carpet than carpet cleaner is, lol.

My recommendation: buy a spray bottle of Poop Off from either a pet store or Amazon, so that you have something to pour refills into, and then buy the gallon jugs. It's much cheaper to buy Poop Off in bulk.
Ooooh thank you for the recommendation!!

Sunflower89

Mar 25, 2024
Parrots
Indian RIngneck
Also just incase you don't know this deoderants, perfumes, telfon pans etc, candles, glues, car fumes anything like these can be dangerous for your birds.

OP
I
Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Also just incase you don't know this deoderants, perfumes, telfon pans etc, candles, glues, car fumes anything like these can be dangerous for your birds.
Thank so much! Yes Iā€™m aware and make sure not to use these around my parrot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts