Is chichi ready?

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
So I trust chichi with his wings clipped to stay with me wherever I go. He's always running after me if he is on the floor climbing up my pants. I was wondering if he was ready for flight inside the house. He sits on the door of his cage and flicks his wings and talking to me when he wants to come to me. So usually I go get him at that point. But I'd love for him to just come to me when he wants....not when he has to ask.

How do I know he's ready and how can I know if he can be trusted without letting him actually fly. There's no way to "test" without letting his flight feathers grow.

Any suggestions on where to start, how do I know etc??

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Why don't you get him comfortable with the idea of flight by teaching him to "come" and have him step up... then have him reach a little ways to "come"... then to hop... and then to flap?

You want to break these down into repetitions and if he hesitates at the next step, then go back a step until he's comfortable performing that step to continue on.

During this time, you may want to also teach him to fly back to his cage in case you need him off you for a bit.

parrot14

Jul 30, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
Parrots
sun conure, yellowside conure, long tailed parakeet, black bearded parakeet, african grey
having flighted bird means having more independent bird. You have to consider the behavior modification according to your rule, eg: go inside cage, stay on perch, etc but something should be prepared or even be sacrificed as cost to this freedom of the wings and beak: furniture, couch,etc. But I think it's worth to see the flap of their wings

Most Reactions