Is getting a Parrot ok for them if I still have school and activities?

BoundedGoose

Mar 14, 2024
Hi! I'm a student who wants to adopt a parrot, and I've researched different species that would be great for me. The only issue is that because I'm still in school, I worry about my parrot's mental health without me being there. I'm not too worried about college, I was going to get an apartment/dorm-friendly bird anyway. I just want to make sure its 100% ok to get a Conure, Pionus, or Cockatiel.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I always try to discourage young students from getting a parrot that might be with you for 20-30 years, as you have many, many life events yet to happen and some of these can be less then ideal for having a parrot. School time, yes, but also hanging with friends, after school activities, possible part time work, possible significant other and more. I always recommend wait until you have started your work career.
But of the 3, I'd say cockatiel would be best. Conures and Pionus parrots need a lot of out of cage and 1 on 1 time.

Nov 2, 2022
Media
Washington, DC, USA
Parrots
Astro (budgie) 1/20/23--3/31/23
Poppy (cinnamon cockatiel)
Hi! I'm a student who wants to adopt a parrot, and I've researched different species that would be great for me. The only issue is that because I'm still in school, I worry about my parrot's mental health without me being there. I'm not too worried about college, I was going to get an apartment/dorm-friendly bird anyway. I just want to make sure its 100% ok to get a Conure, Pionus, or Cockatiel.
Honestly it depends on you a lot (speaking as a HS age homeschooler who's at home with my bird a lot). Know yourself. If you're going to be out and about a lot, not just with school but anything else are you really going to have enough time for your bird to have a few hours of out if cage time (with you supervising!) plus 15-20 minutes of one on on training/full on attention? You're going to have to carve out the time for a bird, and it's up to you.
Birds are high maintinance and can never have enough attention. If you really think you can give a bird the attention he needs, awesome! But if you're not sure, it's ok to wait too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts