Is "glass frosting spray" safe after it is dry?

Elysianblight

Mar 8, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Cypress (teal) and Citrine (green) - male american budgies, 7 months.
This is so hard to find information on in relation to birds!

Here is the situation:
My living room, where the budgies also live, has a large built in mirror.
To keep the budgies from sitting on TOP of the mirror which is too high for me to reach, I stuck a suction cup perch on one side of it which is more convenient for them to land on.

Just lately it has started to become their favorite place rather than an occasional perch, and its really not a place I want them to be all the time. It's right by a door (worried about it potentially closing on one of them) and the papers I put down can't catch all their poop so its not an easy spot to keep clean/hygienic.

Also, they are on the verge of puberty and I don't want this fascination with the mirror to turn into a full on obsession. They already kiss it all the time.

So, long story short:
I would like to fog/frost the mirror to make it less appealing. I know films exist - but we have not had good luck using them in the past. Also it would be difficult to cut the film around their perch, which is literally ON the glass.
I know if I take that perch away they are going to go back to sitting on top of the mirror/top of the door, which is even less safe.

I know if we used a frosting spray I would not want them anywhere nearby while it is sprayed and drying. But after it is dry... if they are right there up against it, tapping at it, will that be safe?

Anyone have any idea/experience with this?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understand that once you 'frost' glass it is very difficult to remove, if not impossible, plus it can become an eyesore quickly.

Consider hanging something in front of it, which can be switched out for different times of the years, etc, like bead-streams, commonly seen in doorways. There are a ton of different like products available and later, if you elect to move, you have the original mirror and not a sale killer!

Commonly, this product is not rated as low VOC and off-gassing can be a week or more.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Highly doubt it...1. because it is a spray, 2. because powder is still dangerous when it is chemical.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Can you just move the mirror?...or get rid of the perch that is allowing him to look at himself all the time?

OP
E

Elysianblight

Mar 8, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Cypress (teal) and Citrine (green) - male american budgies, 7 months.
We don't like the mirror and want to get rid of it eventually, probably put a tv there instead.. but since it's built into the wall I'm a little afraid of trying to take it out before then - it is huge and I'm sure everything behind it is an unpainted mess.

Unfortunately if I remove the perch they are using, they just sit on the top edge of the mirror and hang upside down to look in it. Sigh. And I can remove the perch plus cover the mirror, but they'd still be able to sit on top of it.. which means I won't be able to reach them if I need to get them back in their cage. The perch is just a lure to get them to sit somewhere more accessible lol.

I figured it probably wouldn't be safe, just hoping I guess!
I'll see if I can find some film or fabric that I can cover the mirror without removing their perch.. or maybe some other kind of glass paint? We used to paint the classroom windows when I was a teacher..

Most Reactions