so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA has been over the top hormonally speaking And it’s definitely out of season for him.

Others on the form that live in North America have had simIlan comments.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I have noticed a little recently :/ Ona has been regurgitating more… and the past couple of times she actually brought stuff up. Gross! Today I caught her being naughty with a toy and I took it away…. Uh oh.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As noted above. This season has been a nightmare as Parrots in the Northern Hemisphere have been all over the place regarding Hormones. Parrots that have a strong past of fairly specific start /stop dates are near fully erroring those dates with some having relapses and others never leaving the Hormonal Flow behind them!

Assure that you have in place the normal Hormonal Prevention Tools: Sleep, Diet (removal of sugar), etc.. NOTE: Since Daylight LED lighting has become common place, assure that you are cutting them back at night as they can trick the mind into believing it's daytime!!
- Reduce the number on!
- Select lower watt bulbs!
- Select fixtures and bulbs that can be dialed back: dimmed!
- Move the light fixture or Parrot away from each other!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
As noted above. This season has been a nightmare as Parrots in the Northern Hemisphere have been all over the place regarding Hormones. Parrots that have a strong past of fairly specific start /stop dates are near fully erroring those dates with some having relapses and others never leaving the Hormonal Flow behind them!

Assure that you have in place the normal Hormonal Prevention Tools: Sleep, Diet (removal of sugar), etc.. NOTE: Since Daylight LED lighting has become common place, assure that you are cutting them back at night as they can trick the mind into believing it's daytime!!
- Reduce the number on!
- Select lower watt bulbs!
- Select fixtures and bulbs that can be dialed back: dimmed!
- Move the light fixture or Parrot away from each other!
Do you know why it's such a nightmare this year? I'm in the UK and mine are particularly bad this year. My budgies are fine now but were very hormonal a couple of months ago, and my conures and cockatiels are awful this year. My female cockatiel keeps laying eggs and my conure keeps trying to attack me. They've never been this bad and I'm doing everything I can to stop the hormones!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
At first I was leaning heavy on the effects of weather. But the effect has long past by just those variations as Summer has come to play.

Since, this is near 10 years since LED, daylight, bulbs have been actively pushed and are now common, it is possible that they are shifting sleeping patterns and sleep (lack-of) has long been known to effect /result in hormonal flow outside of normal!

But, that will require time to (with hope) witness the end of this year 'season'!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
At first I was leaning heavy on the effects of weather. But the effect has long past by just those variations as Summer has come to play.

Since, this is near 10 years since LED, daylight, bulbs have been actively pushed and are now common, it is possible that they are shifting sleeping patterns and sleep (lack-of) has long been known to effect /result in hormonal flow outside of normal!

But, that will require time to (with hope) witness the end of this year 'season'!
Oh no! I got a dimmable LED light in the middle of winter last year so my birds weren't sleeping at 4 in the afternoon or having to stay up until 10 when I get home from work and they've been really bad since about mid winter. Before that I don't even know how old my lightbulb was but it was pretty old so probably not LED. I wonder if their hormones will really calm down if it's the LED light then?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh no! I got a dimmable LED light in the middle of winter last year so my birds weren't sleeping at 4 in the afternoon or having to stay up until 10 when I get home from work and they've been really bad since about mid winter. Before that I don't even know how old my lightbulb was but it was pretty old so probably not LED. I wonder if their hormones will really calm down if it's the LED light then?
Shifting sleep patterns commonly take 4 to 6 months.
You maybe further ahead to allow them to just experience the natural time of the Sun as we transition though a year. By targeting a Sun Schedule, your Parrot(s) should adjust to a more normal /natural schedule.

Most Reactions

Latest posts