Is it normal for my IRN to occasionally fly into something?

Crayfish066

Jul 21, 2017
England
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Is it normal behaviour for an IRN to occasionally fly into a wall or a tv?
He doesn't hit them with much speed and usually looks like he's aware
he's about to make contact as he makes an attempt to slow himself down.

He often crashes in the same spot right next to one of his favourite perching
spots like he struggled to get enough height in time to land there.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Is he clipped, or has he been clipped at all?

My IRN's probably wonder if it's normal for their owners to occasionally (often) walk into something.... :S

Mdjandt

May 16, 2018
Is he clipped, or has he been clipped at all?

My IRN's probably wonder if it's normal for their owners to occasionally (often) walk into something.... :S

Hahaha! That’s good. I whack my head on stuff all of the time. I think I gain sympathy from them.

As for OP. Can you try moving his perch? I’d worry about him flying too quickly and hit hard. They have a saying “bird bones” for a reason. I even worry about my birds being clipped and trying to fly, hitting the ground too hard. He may need clearer landing.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Sounds like a skill issue to me. You might have to take him to flight school to help develop these skills he needs to fly more safely.

Target train him if he isn’t trained, then a few times a day target him across two perches/surfaces that are about a foot apart. Slowly increase the distance over a few weeks and work up to long distances. This will give him landing fundamentals.

OP
C

Crayfish066

Jul 21, 2017
England
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
He isn't clipped, he's over a year old, shouldn't he have developed good flying skills by now?

99% of the time he lands with no real issues, a lot of the time when he misses the perch it looks like he's coming
in too low.

Last edited:

Most Reactions