Is it too soon?

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
It's been almost a month since I lost my sweet little baby :green2:...and not a day goes by that I don't miss his cheerful loving personality.:(

I have a possible opportunity to bring home a new bird, a baby Indian Ringneck, and am struggling with part of me wanting him and part of me feeling like it's wrong, it's too soon...:confused:

I think I need some of you understanding bird-lovers to help me through this..

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
If I lost Rosie I would cry and I would think I would become very depressed and withdrawn. I would think another bird would help to pull me out of that. Another bird that needs care, food, attention, companionship, and affection. I would still cry about Rosie for a long time, but the chance to make a new friend isn't something that should be passed up. Good friends make us better people, and a parrot makes a wonderful one.

If you like Indian ringnecks and want one you should get it. You won't be replacing anyone, just allowing another incredible creature to share your life with.

Last edited:
OP
chippy

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I do like IR...I got one for my husband last year from a family with whom the bird had not bonded at all and was becoming increasingly aggressive. I brought him home and he bonded in a very short time with my husband, and is a completely different bird than the one I brought home. He "tolerates" me and my son, but adores my husband and daughter...lol...

OP
chippy

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
... You won't be replacing anyone, just allowing another incredible creature to share your life with.

This just got me... made me a little teary...ok a lot teary.. but I think you might be right. That is how I have been feeling, like I would be replacing someone who was irreplaceable... but I also feel like there is just this sad, empty place in my heart right now, and maybe another bird would help it to heal...

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
As said you will never replace that previous bird just have the opportunity with the next. My blue and gold Annie died she was my best macaw she had a 200 word vocabulary she knew so many tricks she was affectionate and loving and just one of the best birds I ever had. Then I got a offer months later to take in another which ended up being tucker. I had a hard time accepting the difference between Annie and tucker. In the end tucker made up for that void and took away that empty cage sitting on the wall and I accepted tucker for how amazing he was. So to be able to offer another home and share your life is the best thing I think you could do for yourself and these creatures:)

OP
chippy

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
Thank you both so much for responding...it's so hard to know where to go from here, and just knowing that others understand and are not going to judge whatever decision I do make helps a lot. So many people that I know DON'T get it...they are not "bird people" and don't understand the bond that happens between birds and their people and how it's not "just a bird" that died, so it's hard because they think it's not a big deal and not a hard decision to come to...

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
If you choose to get another bird, you're not replacing the one you lost, but are welcoming someone new into your life and your heart.

After George the YCA passed away, it wasn't long before I knew that I wanted to have another parrot-- everything seemed too empty and too quiet without one. Your heart will tell you when the time is right for you to find a new avian friend.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I have shared this before, but will again.

George was my first bird, a rescue Jenday who live to be about 6 years old. He got out, most likely poisoned himself and died the night after we got him back. I grieved for a long time over him and shunned the idea of another bird due to this pain.

After a year had passed I started to think about owning another bird. But now I knew he too would die one day so I was aprehensive. Once we got Hahnzel though I was busy with him, learning about him, sociallizing with him. But in the back of my mind there will always be the memory of George. I no longer look upon my new bird as a usurper of my heart, but a friend that my whole family has embraced.

Bottom line, grieve as long as is necessary. Then look at your life without a bird and see if you like the freedom to come and go as you please. Or, that you kind of need a bird in your life to be the person you want to be. Then, and only then will you have your final answer.

OP
chippy

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
Thanks... my husband asked today if i wanted another conure, because Wilbur :green2: was such a snuggle-bug and GCCs are (generally) cuddly birds. Thinking about it though, i don't think I could deal with a bird that resembled Wilbur... I think I would just wish it was him...

OP
chippy

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
So...I decided I was ready to clean the cage...it's been just sitting, covered, since Wilbur died. My daughter had offered but I knew it was something I needed to do myself when I was ready.
I bawled the whole time then, when I was done cleaning it all, I went and sat under the tree where my husband buried him...I haven't been able to do that yet, it was just too much. So I sat with him for a bit, cried and talked to him... and, finally, came away feeling like it would be ok to let another bird into my life and into my heart.
When I came back into the house, I opened my email and found this...
IMG-20130127-00088-2.jpg
IMG-20130127-00088-2.jpg
and
IMG-20130202-00148.jpg
IMG-20130202-00148.jpg

and
IMG-20130213-00206.jpg
and last but not least, this:
IMG-20130305-00274.jpg
I am going to meet him (or her) next week...

Last edited:

Most Reactions