Is male greys talk better?

leomacaw

Jul 13, 2010
Hong Kong
Parrots
2 Greys, 2 Yellow Sided Conures, 1 Jardine's & 1 Lovebird.
Are male greys talk better?

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Are male Greys' better talkers...
From my own personal experience I would say no. Having had two males and one female, each one spoke absolutely beautifully.
Congo the male (had him for 7 years, only spoke a black language when I got him) Within a year he spoke perfect English.
Gigi, the female, was only 13 months old when she passed away, she had an incredible vocabulary for such a young bird. Had she lived longer, I reckon she would have given Mishka some stiff competition.
Mishka, my present bird, is capable of having a full conversation with a human, knowing and understanding what is being asked.

It all depends on the time and effort, that a guardian is willing to give the bird. Find a method that works for you both, having lots of fun, is the key to a happy talking bird

Some birds may never talk, no matter how much training is given.

OP
leomacaw

leomacaw

Jul 13, 2010
Hong Kong
Parrots
2 Greys, 2 Yellow Sided Conures, 1 Jardine's & 1 Lovebird.
Thank you very much, my friends.
Well, even if my grey doesn't speak at all,
he is my life partner since I got her last Monday.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
That's the way to go, accept them for what they are, not what we want them to be.
My advise, just keep talking constantly, whenever you are home, no matter what you are doing, tell him everything. When pouring water, say water, when sweeping say mommy sweeping. They listen and hear everything, absorbing all in their little brains.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
You have a great attitude about it. I feel the same way. I didn't get a CAG for conversation, but I'm really amazed at how quickly she's picking up words.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
How old is your bird? My Rosie was a late talker. I thought she would never speak and at almost 1 yr. she said hello. True, some do not speak at all. They are fantastic birds whether they talk or not.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
There may be some statistical evidence pointing to male greys being slightly more talkative on average. I haven't seen it, but given the "common knowledge" attesting to it, I'm willing to entertain the possibility.

However, given the extreme intelligence of Greys, any particular male or female may talk your ear off.

Gandalf, a male, was a mile-a-minute blabermouth.

Bitty, a dainty little female, is a bit more reserved and quiet, though that might simply be because she's a lot smaller. Even she has her loud, rambunctious moments. It's hard to say, but I think she is learning new words just as fast as Gandalf did. I got home from work the other day, and she said "Hi, hun.." :D
Awesome.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I think Nofear is right. Male birds are often the most colorful and loudest to protect the females and the nests. It would make sense that males talk more, since with some species, only the male birds "sing". But, I've never seen any real statistics.

I do love that our birdies are so much like human children. When Ruby started talking, she was off! Learning new words weekly, if not daily. Just like my kids did. Her latest is "Good night, birdies" and "You're so pretty".

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Bitty's latest: "don't hurt me." What I say when she nibbles a bit too hard. She's amazing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts