Is molting normal in November?

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
I kno nothing about molting season. My new 5.5 yo sun conure is shedding feathers. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a lot or not. Heā€™s been sitting on me preening since I got home. Heā€™s dropped 5 feathers in 30 mins. Last night he probably pulled out 8. There arenā€™t any in the bottom of the cage.

is this normal?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I kno nothing about molting season. My new 5.5 yo sun conure is shedding feathers. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a lot or not. Heā€™s been sitting on me preening since I got home. Heā€™s dropped 5 feathers in 30 mins. Last night he probably pulled out 8. There arenā€™t any in the bottom of the cage.

is this normal?
What feathers are they? Wing, tail, body? Does he have bald patches anywhere? It's normal for loose feathers to fall out while a bird is preening. Take pictures of them including the quill end. Maybe someone can say if they look molted or plucked out.
Birds in captivity living indoors can decide to molt at any time of the year. My budgies are molting right now, too.

OP
B

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
Theyā€™re body feathers. He ripped out a tail feather the first day we had him. Heā€™s got bald patches he had when I got him, but I donā€™t know if those are normal. Kind of run along the sides of his neck, and under his jaw. I can only see them when Iā€™m petting him. Otherwise his feathers cover them. He doesnā€™t seem to have many pin feath on his head. one here or there that I help him out with. Who knew picking feathers would be so fun. (I donā€™t pull his feathers out, I help break up the tough parts where he canā€™t reach)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Theyā€™re body feathers. He ripped out a tail feather the first day we had him. Heā€™s got bald patches he had when I got him, but I donā€™t know if those are normal. Kind of run along the sides of his neck, and under his jaw. I can only see them when Iā€™m petting him. Otherwise his feathers cover them. He doesnā€™t seem to have many pin feath on his head. one here or there that I help him out with. Who knew picking feathers would be so fun. (I donā€™t pull his feathers out, I help break up the tough parts where he canā€™t reach)
How long have you had him? It sounds like molting to me. When my six birds molt you would think someone ripped open a feather pillow! Sometimes when we pet our birds we see areas without a lot of feathers and I think that may be normal as long as there is feathers covering the areas otherwise. Ask an avian vet to be sure.

OP
B

BruisedViolets

Nov 8, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
Weā€™ve had him 2 weeks.
Weā€™ve jokingly said he has PMS. Pre molt symptoms. šŸ˜†

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
My birdie has been molting recently too. And yes, preening pin feathers is super fun! šŸ˜Š itā€™s so satisfying.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
My Jenday is currently molting. She loves her pin feathers crunched up with finger nails, and extra showers with spray bottles during this time. Those pin feathers are very sensitive to her. Bump them, and you will get her wrath.

Most Reactions

Latest posts