Is my Brotogeris over eating?

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
I just brought home a sweet little White-winged parakeet (brotogeris) about four days ago. He is just over 4 months old.

He eats like crazy! He chows down on everything I offer him. Every day he's been almost completely devouring his lunchtime bowl of fruits and veggies, and then he stuffs his face with pellets for dinner. He spend a LOT of time eating. I haven't really been restricting food, since I want to make sure he's eating enough. However, just a few minutes ago, I looked over and saw his absolutely gigantic crop... I actually panicked and thought there was something wrong! He really stuffed himself.

I haven't started tracking his daily weight yet, but now that he's getting a little more comfortable, I'm going to start tracking it. I've read that the adult weight is around 70g, but I'm not sure what the weight of a 4 month old should be, since I have no idea when his species would be considered adult.

Is the big appetite to be expected for a young bird? Thanks for reading! :]

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm not familiar with the eating habits of your species, but I know with my linnies they graze all day. If he's eating healthy stuff I'm inclined to think you should let him eat and monitor his weight.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
For the first year or so, Brotos will stuff themselves.
Not sure why. Porter can still polish off a fruit bowel and pellets.

But look below on the floor... they are also really really really messy eaters xP

Most Reactions

Latest posts