is my cockatiel trying to mate???

kels1989

Aug 10, 2013
omaha ne
Parrots
i have two cockatiels
i have a pied tiel not sure of sex and a split pied not sure sex either but the split keeps putting wings out a little standing up tall and walking up to the other tiel and trying to get on top am not sure if its male or not ill attach a photo so you guys know which one

the one on the right is the one doing the strange behavior :grey::confused:

Attachments

• 971944_395064840599645_2001896566_n.jpg
    971944_395064840599645_2001896566_n.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 18,931

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We already told you that grey pied is a male while it's the pied that we are unsure of. Males will do that to each other as well, doesn't mean it's a female when they try to do that.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The split pied is the one that I'm thinking is male. Behavior definitely indicates it, too! (but not 100% accurate - more like 98%! ;) )

OP
K

kels1989

Aug 10, 2013
omaha ne
Parrots
i have two cockatiels
thanks :D is there other ways to figure out if their sex not visually but personality wise :grey::grey:

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Not really. The biggest difference is that males will call while hens will not but I've had a couple of unmated hens that drove me nuts, calling and calling and calling (they stopped once they found mates). Orange cheeks tend to be brighter in males than females, also - but, again, not necessarily all the time.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
There are ways to tell such as only the males will do little heart shape dance. They hold wings up bented into like heart shape along with the body. And they sing like mad. Female have minimal singing ability but they can!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I know of a talking female hen! I also know of another hen that does heart wings! LOL I've got a hen that whistles.

You can either way for them to mature and see what colors their tail feathers molt out into, or you can get then DNA sexed. DNA sexing is typically about $25 per bird and requires either some blood or freshly plucked feathers from the birds chest.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Monica,

If you read I didn't say hens can't sing or whistle, they can! I have yet to see a hen do the heart shape dance! And I've seen hundreds of Cockatiels as I used to raise them....I would be intrigued to see one do so! Hens still don't sing nothing like a male!!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wasn't disagreeing with you! :) (backing up more like it and adding additional stuff I've seen)

I've also seen a photo of what everyone thought was a normal male cockatiel (*no* female markings whatsoever!) that laid an egg!

There used to be a breeder in Alaska and she said that her best singing cockatiel was actually a hen! She could outsing the males! (and she was a breeder bird!) I think she has since moved to Hawaii but I don't know if she still has her cockatiel flock or not.... considering that Hawaii can be very strict on what animals can come into Hawaii...

I may or may not be able to get a photo of a hen doing the heart wings... I'll have to make sure I'm thinking of the right owner, first! (pretty sure it is, as this owner has a female cockatiel she named Sam which turned into Samantha?)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
That would be quite a sight for me to see!!!!! Please do update me on that one. I'm intrigued!!!!! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
By the way I have a good singing Lutino female that has the blue eyes, she also hold her food like an actual parrot parrot if you knkw what I mean....she's quite special! Don't see a lot of them hold their food like that but every ao often I'll see a few that does it....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
A had a pearl cockatiel that would occasionally hold things in her feet! Casey, my cinnamon pearl pied hen tried to learn that technique but all she accomplished was holding the food down with her foot so it wouldn't get anywhere! LOL

Love the blue eyed inos! I understand that's a sign of being split pied and/or whiteface!

I'll let you know if I can get an image! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Yes she's a split....unfortunately I will never find out what she's split with as she's infertile. She's a super sweet girl!!!! Also a good foster momma!!!!!

Most Reactions