Is my Ekkie Sick?

A

AngelAndMe

My Ekkie's been acting wierd lately. I got her about 2 weeks ago, and she's starting to settle in really well. She's started talking and she's always grinding her beak and cooing.

However, lately she hasn't been eating much at all, just drinking water, and when I feed her from my hand she'll take a bite and spit it out, over and over. She's been shaking/quivering a lot as well, but I know she's not afraid of me because she's grinding her beak and being social while doing so. Also, she's been sitting really low on her perches, instead of sitting up. Almost like she's crouching.

Yesterday, she started this new behavior, and I have no idea what it means. She crouches low and opens her wings slightly, and flaps them. She's got a really alert look in her eye, and I'm wondering if she's hormonal? Or is she sick? Or both?:red1:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
My Ekkie's been acting wierd lately. I got her about 2 weeks ago, and she's starting to settle in really well. She's started talking and she's always grinding her beak and cooing.

However, lately she hasn't been eating much at all, just drinking water, and when I feed her from my hand she'll take a bite and spit it out, over and over. She's been shaking/quivering a lot as well, but I know she's not afraid of me because she's grinding her beak and being social while doing so. Also, she's been sitting really low on her perches, instead of sitting up. Almost like she's crouching.

Yesterday, she started this new behavior, and I have no idea what it means. She crouches low and opens her wings slightly, and flaps them. She's got a really alert look in her eye, and I'm wondering if she's hormonal? Or is she sick? Or both?:red1:

Not eating in any bird would be cause for a vet visit, for an eclectus even more so, for their size my eclectus can pack more food away then any other type of bird. The shaking can still be fear, eclectus freeze and become like statues if they are afraid. Two weeks is not long, it will take longer for her to be comfortable and really trust you.
The low crouch and wing flapping is hormonal, how do I put this...it is essentially an invitation for a male to climb on her back.:p
However if she is not eating, sitting low on her perches all the time and shaking then she could be trying to lay an egg or is egg bound in which case you would need to get her to the vet asap.

OP
A

AngelAndMe

Her previous owner said she had laid an unfertile egg about a month ago, maybe more. Could she still lay another egg?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Her previous owner said she had laid an unfertile egg about a month ago, maybe more. Could she still lay another egg?

Yes, some females will continue to lay egg after egg, depleting their calcium, which is not good! Some people have luck buying fake eggs on line the same size as her eggs and letting the female sit them. After about 28 days or so she will realize they aren't going to hatch and abandon them. You really want to avoid continuous egg laying.

d2page2

Feb 15, 2012
California
Parrots
Mina GCC, George and Mimi eckies.
My female never abandons her eggs we always have to pull them. Our vet said that Eckies will lay eggs repeatedly. My girl lays 3 times a year.

Most Reactions

Latest posts