is there a difference between Male and Female Amazon?

DinoTheLori

May 21, 2016
I have a 11 week old
Double Yellow-Headed Amazon name Destiny.

I got her when she was just 6 weeks old. I have been handfeeding her ever since. Her name is Destiny.

Today i got the DNA sexing result.

The result say's that Destiny is a MALE.

So, i was wondering, is there a difference between male and female amazon?

He's still a baby and is now on one hand feeding per day. :green::green::green:

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
What do you mean by is there a difference? Are you asking about temperament, makings, size?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
One lays eggs. The other doesn't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Marking wise , no difference.
Temperament wise, some attribute females with being calmer or males being better talkers, but I find, as with all parrots, that the individual is just that. Individuals.
Good luck with your lil baby, Destiny, love to see some pics! If you think surprise
DNA results are shocking, read some of AmyMyBluefront's Dad, Jim, posts. He had Amy for 25+ years and found out this year that Amy is really Amos.

OP
D

DinoTheLori

May 21, 2016
One lays eggs. The other doesn't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Marking wise , no difference.
Temperament wise, some attribute females with being calmer or males being better talkers, but I find, as with all parrots, that the individual is just that. Individuals.
Good luck with your lil baby, Destiny, love to see some pics! If you think surprise
DNA results are shocking, read some of AmyMyBluefront's Dad, Jim, posts. He had Amy for 25+ years and found out this year that Amy is really Amos.

thank you Al, how do I posts pictures on here?

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
Lol, just 2 weeks ago my DYH laid an egg. She's 14 and this was the first. We always thought she was a boy. Now that I know she's a female I seem to treat her differently, no idea why. I guess I sweet talk to her more, just treat her more feminine. But her temperament is the same. It's just all in my head.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Oh my goodness! I just melted when I viewed your photo! What a cutie patootie!

As far as differences between male and female?? I'm no expert but I would venture to guess that males may be more vocal and it's possible a bit more bitey/hormonal during breeding season...but every bird is an individual so take that with a grain of salt for sure.

The most important thing you can do is set your boundaries and be consistent, love, talk, play and include him in your day to day life as much as possible.

Have fun and keep posting pictures!

Toni

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Destiny is adorable! I'm glad the link helped:)

Most Reactions