Is there such a thing as a too big cage?

diadins

Jul 10, 2013
WI
Parrots
Sun Conure-Iris
We are going to be getting a baby sun conure in 4 weeks. We have a cage but I am wondering if it is too large. Im not worried about bar spacing. My mom's bird did not like her cage and always huddled in a corner, once she got a smaller cage Mia (the bird) was happy. The cage is roughly 4 1/2 feet tall, 2 1/2 feet wide. Opinions? Should I get a smaller cage or do you think we will be fine.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
It all depends on the bird. But as long as the bar spacing is the appropriate size it's worth trying out.

Some birds don't like huge cages, while others do. If I was in your place I would try out the big cage and see what your sun conure thinks of it :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
In my opinion, I think he will get used to it. If you already have the space, might as well use it :) More space to put up several foraging stations, perch varieties, hanging toys, etc. Plenty of corners your bird can 'explore' which is good to occupy his time you're not home. Since you already have the cage, maybe you can make it work by providing places to hide to give him a sense of security.

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
My daughter has a Hahns macaw, roughly the same size as a sun. The cage is 48x48x24, after a few weeks, it seems this 6 month old Hahns is learning to use the entire cage, ceiling and all.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
With younger birds, they tend to explore all over the place, I see my youngsters not missing a single crevice....They don't leave nothing alone....lol.....So I would also go with a bigger cage to see how it works out.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Give the bigger cage a go and see how it goes.
At first the bird might sit in one corner, but remember just how big the cage looks to a bird.
I am sure within a few days, the bird will get curious and began to suss everything out.

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
Is there any such thing as a too big cage?

I think it's a matter of perception.

If the bird sits in one corner and ignores the rest of the cage ... maybe.

If your bird lives throughout the entire room and only sleeps in the cage ... maybe.

If your bird likes it's cage, uses the whole cage for exercise and other activities, but YOU can't get from the living room to the bathroom because the cage is in between them ... DEFINITELY! :green::eek::D:D:D

OP
D

diadins

Jul 10, 2013
WI
Parrots
Sun Conure-Iris
Thanks for all the advice, I think I will try the big cage and then if the baby doesn't take to it after 1 1/2-2 weeks then I will pick out a back up cage just in case. Space in the house is definitely not a problem, just whether or not the bird enjoys it.

R_ACE1

Aug 11, 2013
4 1/2 x 2 1/2 isn't that big.
Remember your Conure is young now, but it will grow into it. The great thing about a big cage is the MANY possibilities to have toys and perches, and still have room to move around.

I think having that size cage is a good idea.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
What about just buying the larger cage and making a platform inside of it? You can use wood to do so, or even the cage grate, if it fits... and raise that up. Babies do tend to be clumsy, so the less space they have to fall, the better!

And as your bird grows older and starts to gain confidence, strength and mobility (aka agility), you can slowly lower that platform until you can just take it out of the cage entirely!

Most Reactions

Latest posts