Is this hormonal behavior?

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi! It’s been a while, life has been busy, but could anyone tell me if this is hormonal behavior for a female conure? She likes to rub her head on me and will make that little noise. Sometimes she also rubs her head on absolutely nothing (like she just making the motion at the air) but also still makes the noise. She has only made the regurgitating motion once, but that was a long time ago and directed at the towel rack not me lol. I’m not sure how to discourage it or if she is just enjoying pets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Video attached:

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Hi! It’s been a while, life has been busy, but could anyone tell me if this is hormonal behavior for a female conure? She likes to rub her head on me and will make that little noise. Sometimes she also rubs her head on absolutely nothing (like she just making the motion at the air) but also still makes the noise. She has only made the regurgitating motion once, but that was a long time ago and directed at the towel rack not me lol. I’m not sure how to discourage it or if she is just enjoying pets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Video attached:
View attachment 59096
How old is she? Gender verified?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
To me that looks more like "I like to be scratched and the towel is handy" more then mating behavior. Mating behavior looks more like butt rubbing against something. My little Amazon Salty uses the edge of his tubular bell to scratch his head.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
How old is she? Gender verified?
She’s about 1 and a half, and I was told that she was tested, but I don’t have any paperwork for it so it is possible that she could be male.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
To me that looks more like "I like to be scratched and the towel is handy" more than mating behavior. Mating behavior looks more like butt rubbing against something. My little Amazon Salty uses the edge of his tubular bell to scratch his head.
Thanks! I was worried because of the little noises she makes when she does it, I wasn’t sure what they meant. She hasn’t hit puberty yet either so I’m always suspicious of her behavior.

Most Reactions

Latest posts