Is this molting, plucking, or normal?

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello all. I was curious if you could help me figure out what is going on with my new baby, Kure. (I only got her a week ago) Sometimes I can see her down feathers poking out from under her wings on her shoulders and it seems like there is no colored feathers there, only down. Under her wings on her sides also seems to be a bit sparse. I am worried that she was plucking before I got her and has continued. I attached pictures but please note she had just had a bath and was really squirmy when I tried to move her wing 😬.

Also, how many feathers at the bottom of the cage is too enough to cause concern? When I get home there seems to be anywhere from 1-5, and they are a mix of down and colored feathers. She has plenty of toys but has not really learned how to play with them yet.

IMG_4928.jpeg
IMG_4924.jpeg

Also here is her just bein a cute wet chicken.
IMG_4920.jpeg

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
If she’s just losing down there’s really no need to be concerned 🙂. I’m not really seeing anything concerning with her feathers. Underneath the wings always has sparser feathering. You can check the feathers that are on the bottom of the cage and see if they look broken or chewed off. But I’m guessing she’s just doing some molting ( and looking very cute while doing it ❤️)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If she’s just losing down there’s really no need to be concerned 🙂. I’m not really seeing anything concerning with her feathers. Underneath the wings always has sparser feathering. You can check the feathers that are on the bottom of the cage and see if they look broken or chewed off. But I’m guessing she’s just doing some molting ( and looking very cute while doing it ❤️)
She is so cute! A few feathers a day lost is nothing to be concerned about. My budgies are constantly dropping feathers here and there. The area under the wings doesn't have a lot of feathers. They don't have flight feathers there and most of the colored contour feathers cover the back, breast and belly.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
She’s so cute! And wow she will let you lift her wing!

It’s hard to tell from the photos since she’s wet but I think it looks pretty normal.

OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Whew, thank you all! I’ve heard so many horror stories about plucking. Glad to know she looks ok, I will try to get another clear pic of her dry to show you.

Last edited:
OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Sometimes there will be 1 or two colored feathers as well, I’m not sure if this makes a difference?

Last edited:
OP
Flapjack

Flapjack

Nov 10, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Here is a picture of her dry.
IMG_4936.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts