Is this normal?

cynda

Dec 2, 2016
Media
MN
Parrots
One yellow-sided green cheek conure named Jojo!
Alright so I got Jojo just yesterday and already it seems she's made herself at home? I noticed she had a hard time getting around her cage due to her wings being clipped (which i just noticed!) so I decided to adjust some things and it already seemed she was semi-comfortable with letting me into her cage since I regularly add food or fresh water if it seems messy.

Now the thing is she slipped past me out into my room (I'm a goof) and just decided to flap around and explore until finally she got tuckered out and went back into her cage. During all this I fed her some apple treats (which she readily accepted- another thing that surprised me due to her initial disinterest in treats). It all made me a little worried since it kind of foiled my plans for gaining trust and waiting by her cage or other simple things to help. She doesn't seem afraid of me at all which is the kicker!

So far she's been able to climb on my head, allow me to guide her to her perches, put her back in her cage, etc! All this feels so taboo to me since all the research I poured into everything is telling me otherwise!

I'm not complaining at her lack of interest in biting me but I'm just worried if there's something secretly stressing her out or if everything's going too fast for her even if she seems to be enjoying herself! Any advice on if there's a problem/what I should do? Right now shes just sunning herself by the window as funny as that is.

Thanks for reading!
(ignore my strange curtain haha i have cats who like to climb blinds...they weren't in the room either to be safe haha!):confused:
929525ab5adab68d3b248a120fd7a54f.png

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
At this very moment, there are viewers and members who are reading your Thread and shaking their heads, while rubbing their sore fingers saying, why can't I be that lucky!

As stated by my good friend above, well socialized GCC's are wonderful!

Find out who the Breeder was and send them a Thank-You card!

Whether your Parrot is slow on Trusting or as open as this one is, always move at the comfort level of your Parrot. Remember to reinforce Step-Up and keep working at socializing her. Let her go to anyone that she shows comfort with and if not, well its a no for that person.

Keep working with her, new tricks, activities, etc...

Enjoy, but try not to gloat when someone else talks about their GCC removing their finger nails, one tiny piece at a time. Its just not good sport! :D

OP
cynda

cynda

Dec 2, 2016
Media
MN
Parrots
Very normal when they are socialized. GCC are love bugs!

Thats incredible to me considering i wasn't expecting to even hold her until much later! I always knew they were sweeties but I never knew this fast haha
I'm relieved to hear its normal!
just now she was makin a big mess on my laptop munching on some chili seeds and apple pieces again
67fe745156169027652ab3b6aee6ced8.png

OP
cynda

cynda

Dec 2, 2016
Media
MN
Parrots
At this very moment, there are viewers and members who are reading your Thread and shaking their heads, while rubbing their sore fingers saying, why can't I be that lucky!

As stated by my good friend above, well socialized GCC's are wonderful!

Find out who the Breeder was and send them a Thank-You card!

Whether your Parrot is slow on Trusting or as open as this one is, always move at the comfort level of your Parrot. Remember to reinforce Step-Up and keep working at socializing her. Let her go to anyone that she shows comfort with and if not, well its a no for that person.

Keep working with her, new tricks, activities, etc...

Enjoy, but try not to gloat when someone else talks about their GCC removing their finger nails, one tiny piece at a time. Its just not good sport! :D

Of course of course, I'm baffled myself! :52: After my experience with my moms sun conure and the effort it took to befriend him I understand the struggles as well! I came in ready for the bites and pain but got a surprise! I'm super happy I turned out to be so lucky haha I have no plan to gloat other than be happy about my new sweet friend! Right now I guess my goal is to just have her be comfortable with her surroundings before I do something else but I hope everything turns out alright! Thank you all for the reassurement !

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I know I lucked out with Skittles. He was taken out of his aviary regularly at the pet store where I got him. One of the clerks used to walk around the store with him on her shoulder. She potty trained him and taught him to make 'kissy noises'. I didn't even have to tame him.

Sometimes we are just lucky, and other times, well, not so lucky.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I also think it has a lot to do with our own expectations crossing with our companion's!
I have had times when JoJo has nailed me. After a timeout, for me, bird can do no wrong! I usually can see where I overstepped my bounds and triggered a natural response! No different than being on the phone with your boss and walking in the house, hi honey, what's for dinner? Chicken! Same time, boss tells you, we lost the contract! Reply? Oh crap! We know where this is going!
I have found it so rewarding to work to understand JoJo's need to protect, tired times, hormonal times(me too), frightened times, goof ball and so on!
I know I have been blessed!

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
That is a good thing, like stated, and just means that your bird was well socialized by the breeder and not just left with other birds and no human contact. Some species are more prone to taking a minute to trust you, but this is typical of a handraised GCC. Luckily Loco was good straight off the bat and he was housed with other suns, but we have been good since day one! Take advantage of it and keep it going in a positive way. It can only get better with more training, socialization, and love. And like said, move at his pace - if that is fast, then so be it, if its slow, thats okay too. There will probably be some boundaries to get by as you get to know eachother along the way, but it sounds like you two are set up for a good life together.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
Luckily Loco was good straight off the bat and he was housed with other suns, but we have been good since day one! Take advantage of it and keep it going in a positive way. It can only get better with more training, socialization, and love.
Rule, you walk into my house, you come over to my JoJo and say hi, giving him a treat. Goes well? I will take him out for you. Only for a bit, we are all nervous and I bleed easily!

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
" I got Jojo just yesterday...."

Yeah just wait. haha. Green cheeks are awesome birds. They can change as the mature and get to know you better. Just saying nothing is permanent. I am sure your bird will always be awesome and sweet but just be ready for any changes because hormones can really mess with a bird. Just saying.

Keep doing what you are doing. If you are really worried Bring her to an Avain vet. Make sure all is well because they hide illness so well.

Last edited:

shellaves

Jul 25, 2016
San Diego
Parrots
golden conure, Katie & Marco
" I got Jojo just yesterday...."

Yeah just wait. haha. Green cheeks are awesome birds. They can change as the mature and get to know you better. Just saying nothing is permanent. I am sure your bird will always be awesome and sweet but just be ready for any changes because hormones can really mess with a bird. Just saying.

Keep doing what you are doing. If you are really worried Bring her to an Avain vet. Make sure all is well because they hide illness so well.

I just want to ditto on the comment about possible behavioral changes later when hormones fluxuate. my boy has been sweet since day one but my girl started turning aggressive around age 4 and now I won't even pick her up with my bare hands very often because she bites a lot. I think some of these differences are species specific and also gender specific and also vary by individual. enjoy the sweetness but be prepared to love him just as much later if not so sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Whenever I have gotten a new fid- I go into it with zero expectations. I don't 'expect' them talk, cause they may not. I don't 'expect' them to be noisy cause they may be quiet. I don't 'expect' them to be messy when they may be neat. I don't even expect my fid to be a fid. Skittles acts more like a puppy than a bird and I've accepted that.

To me, the funnest part of owning a new fid is observing them and seeing their little shyness grow into vibrant (and often annoying lol) personalities!

Someone once said (I forget who), but they said "we don't get the bird we want, we get the bird we need". I LOVE that quote because it is soooo true.

Last edited:
OP
cynda

cynda

Dec 2, 2016
Media
MN
Parrots
Oh wow im happy to read so many interesting subjects/stories
I'm really ready for anything at this point haha, i came into this expecting bites and i'm by no means afraid to get bit in the future

so far she's had her stubborn moments or difficulties but shes been a sweetheart so far but I'm 100% ready for any sorts of change considering how young she is!
I'm in this for the long haul after all! :)<

And I love that quote as well it's amazing how birds can be and how diverse their personalities are it's no surprise humans and birds get along so well!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
Please never let the negatives guide you! I am sure you have gone through periods of being called the B word, and you yourself knew it was so! That did/does not define who you are. But if I got down your throat every time you had a 'moment', how would you feel/react? Our fids are complex creatures and deserve the space to understand(and assimilate) what they are! When your companion is going through a difficult time he/she needs space and understanding!
Easy to say, but alas, I live alone with JoJo!

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Hi,
Your bird sounds just like my GCC Pickles. She is a no fuss hands-free bird. Never bites anyone, will fly to new friends without hesitation, eats everything, the BEST attitude, etc. Adjusts to new environments great, goes camping with us, etc. I have 2 normal screaming Suns, one of who will dive bomb new people and try to remove their ears, so don't hate on my good luck with Pickles :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, as many of y'all know, my Rickeybird is a demon. It's hard for me to think of one parrot-bad-behavior that he doesn't have. Hmmmm.... uhhhh.... ummmm...
Well, he doesn't pluck.
Yayyyyy, Team Rickeybird!

Most Reactions