Is this Normal?

sillysally

Nov 13, 2010
Indiana
Parrots
Pickles-white winged parakeet; Yoda-Quaker parrot; Solo- Senegal parrot; Kiwi-white winged parakeet-Forever in our hearts, RIP
We have had our pair of white winged parakeets for a little over a week now. They were hand tame when we got them. It seems like sometimes when we let them out of the cage they are cool with stepping up onto our hands and other times they just are not interested. They don't hiss or bite or anything, but we offer our hand and they're just like, "Ehh, nope."

Is this typical--these are our first birds....

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Yip! Unfortunately - or rather fortunately they have their own personalities, moods etc. they do things as they like and because they are together I would think that they influence each other as well. ;)

If stepping up means that they are going somewhere or that they are going to get a treat or play then they will choose to step up. If it means nothing more than just stepping up then they can decide that it is not worth it. Just like humans.:D

My girl usually jumps for me when I walk past but other times she prefers to stay on her tree. Those times I hold out my hand for her to step up and if she doesn't then I take my other hand and move it in behind her back. She always steps up before my hand reaches her back.

Most Reactions