Is this playful behavior?

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
He does this a lot randomly and sometimes this behavior is paired with him flying around (zoomies) and i’ve seen other birds do this but why do they do it? Like what is it? Is it just him playing around having fun or is it something related to hormonal or territorial behaviors?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4519.mov
    7.2 MB
  • IMG_4536.mov
    8.4 MB
  • IMG_4524.mov
    8.3 MB

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, Nico (my Ekkie) does this if I go into the bathroom, and close the door where he cannot see me or come in. He’ll bang his beak on the door, and rub his beak on it too. I don’t think it’s playful in Nico’s case. I think it would vary upon the parrot, and the reason they are doing it. I think Nico does it when he’s mad?!?

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
Hi there, Nico (my Ekkie) does this if I go into the bathroom, and close the door where he cannot see me or come in. He’ll bang his beak on the door, and rub his beak on it too. I don’t think it’s playful in Nico’s case. I think it would vary upon the parrot, and the reason they are doing it. I think Nico does it when he’s mad?!?
Oh no, he growls after doing this sometimes so maybe he is angry. I don’t know why he would do that though?? i don’t see a reason in him being angry there .. Thank you for your response I will try to look more into it.

Nolgi

Nov 1, 2023
Parrots
Male Ekkie named Yoshi, and several parakeets.
I mean, I’ve never had mine do this, but he doesn’t look upset, he doesn’t seem to be attacking anything specific, and I know my ekkie will growl playfully so maybe it’s safe to say he’s just having his own weird little fun.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
My male Eclectus has done this and I believe it is a behavior that shows "I'm a big boy and this is my territory. Back off mates!". It's kind of like how male lizards bob their heads and show off their dewlaps.

When I've approached Toby when he does this behavior, I've been bit. I've had to wait until he gets out of this "male dominance mode" or distract him with treats to avoid aggression.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He does this a lot randomly and sometimes this behavior is paired with him flying around (zoomies) and i’ve seen other birds do this but why do they do it? Like what is it? Is it just him playing around having fun or is it something related to hormonal or territorial behaviors?

Thank you
It looks like he really wants something to eat from the fridge! My budgie is always trying to steal food from wherever she can Including the refrigerator!

Most Reactions