Issue Female Eclectus will not get off!!!!

cruzesaurabh

Apr 27, 2010
My female Eclectus is now 8 months old, I hand reared her from age of 5 weeks. She is talkative and lovely bird.
I have got a problem, when I come home from work, she will start screaming, so I would open her cage and then she will fly to me and sit on my shoulder forever and she does not want to get off. She will get off if I give her peanut, I leave peanut on top of cage and lean myself towards cage, she will get off to get peanut. This is the only way I can make her to get off. Once she is out of cage she simply does not want to go inside! She just wants to stay on top of the cage or on my shoulder. I tried to put her on floor and play with her, but she would straight away fly to my shoulder or fly on my lap and try to get to my shoulder.
When I am not at home, she does not scream at all!, she talks to my wife!!!! But when I come home, she goes appositely extreme!!!!
Can anyone please help me with this problem?

MaiTai

Apr 25, 2010
Parrots
Mai Tai Sun conure
no name TAG
Sounds like she loves you and wants to spend a lot of time with you :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Ditto to what MaiTai said. We have a similar situation with Jade, my husband's RFM. She's his bird. He picked her out when she was about 12 weeks old. He spent time with her every weekend while she was being weaned at the breeder's. He feeds her, give the treats and lets her out of her cage, but...she seems to love me. All she has to do is hear my voice and she'll start squawking and fly to me. It really irritates my Alexandrine.

I don't know why. Making dinner is a challenge. Instead of giving her limited attention like I was doing (in the hopes that she'd decide that I wasn't any fun), I've decided to do kind of the opposite and use this time to do some hard-core behavior training.

Parrots will love who they love.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You are your birds mate. That means in human terms you are married. Please give her the attention she needs or you will end up with behavior problems.

_Cass_

Mar 4, 2010
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Toulouse- Cinnamon Green Cheeked Conure
It does sound like she loves you! But people need boundaries with thier birds. My green cheek had the same problem. Just whenever she flies onto your shoulder just say "step up" and put her back ontop of her cage, and reward her. Then repeat the process. She'll learn she can't always be on your shoulder. But make sure you still give her the proper attention-and she can still go on your shoulder, when she's allowed.

Hope I helped!
-Cass

Last edited:
OP
cruzesaurabh

cruzesaurabh

Apr 27, 2010
Many thanks for your time and reply.

I might get male for her!!!!! but will let you know her progress.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I agree with the previous posts. She loves you. But I also agree that boundaries are important.

It sounds like she is over attached. Work on getting her to play with toys or eat snacks on her perch or cage while you step away a bit. Each time you do this move a little farther away or wait a little longer before picking her back up. She will learn that even if you put her down you'll come back - this will help her be comfortable not being on your shoulder.

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
I have a male Eclectus who is 1 yr old and he is great with all our family but I am his mate. My husband and kids can handle him and he is really good with them as long as I am not in the room but once I enter it is only me he wants and he starts nipping at them or just flies off to me. When I have him he is affectionate and chatty and quite happy to just sit with me but if my daughter comes and sits near me he gets all aggressive and lunges towards her. We give him a warning and say " naughty boy,do you want to go to your cage?" and if he doesn't stop then we put him straight back .

This was working really well until last week when he was sitting with me and my daughter came in and sat down and Puffin lunged then looked at me and said " want to go back in your cage?" Naturally we were all so shocked we started laughing and now he says it just to get a reaction. Back to the drawing board!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I had a good laugh, reading the above post. :)
Just shows what a good teacher you are.
This might become an issue, he associates it with getting a reaction, and in return, you laughing, (we all would have laughed).
Back to the drawing board......... make your voice more stern, and demanding

Most Reactions