It's NOT sun

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
So, apparently I just found out that my SUN is in fact a JENDAY.
ksuyen-albums-album-001-first-week-picture15616-img-1893.jpg

Now that's clear, his name changes to MANGO. :D

After more than 2 weeks, Mango starts to show his aratinga true colour: he screams. A lot. :31:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
:54: Well, drop dead from shock! I won't bother to say I told you so, because it was kinda obvious...

It kind of amazes me that breeders and pet shops still get these two mixed up.

And again, the personalities are pretty close to identical anyway, so personality wise it doesn't matter. One has green wings and a little more orange and reds, the other has multiple colored wings and less orange and reds.

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So how did you find out Mango is a Jenday? Isn't he only like 11 weeks old or so? Young Sun Conures are quite easy to mistake as Jendays, FWIW. ;) Google 'baby sun conuress' and you can see for yourself.

And both Sun and Jenday conures fall under the genus Aratinga. :) ...along with many others....

Looky, here's a picture of a baby Sun Conure: http://fancy-feathers.net/zen/index.php?album=FancyFeathers&image=7-20-11-001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
ksuyen

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
It's kinda complicated... with all of these mixed up genes breeder did. The breeder admitted she made a mistake in ID him, the parents are Jenday and Sunday, which makes Mango at least a quarter Sun? But I guess he is more Jenday than Sun, with no yellow whatsoever on top of his wings.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Aah, I see! Still, his coloring will change. Give him a couple of molts, or wait until he's 2, then he should have his final, glorious plumage. :D

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
Well go, Mango! So is a Jendays screech the same as a Sun?. If it is not, consider yourself blessed. My experience with Suns is that they can be shy for a day, then they scream like there is no tomorrow, then the screams die down in volume. I have a handful of friends who can not tolerate the pitch at all. They don't come over very often.

I have two breathtaking Suns and one VERY plain cinnamon GC. I could care less about their coloring or looks. All three have my heart.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
One third Sun.

Technically he's considered a Sunday conure because he's not pure sun or pure jenday.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Birdman I think Skittles will dissent from your description of suns. LOL. Skittles has more orange than anything else. LOL ;)

@Ksuyen Truthfully, unless you are going to breed Mango - his exact geneology shouldn't affect anything. Given there isn't much difference in coloring and it seems the personalities are the same. But I can also understand wanting to know for sure. I've no intention of breeding Skittles, but I still wanted to know his gender.

I'm glad you are accepting Mango as he is. You'd shiver to hear some of the stories of people who reject a bird cause it doesn't fit a certain 'criteria'.

PS, How old is Mango? If he is less than a year old - you won't really know for sure. I say like JerseyWendy said - wait til he's 2 and you'll know for sure. That's when suns reach sexual maturity.

OP
ksuyen

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
Hi all.

He is 12.5 weeks old, so it will be a long way before his plumage shows permanent colors. As for the species, Sun, Jenday and Sunday are all look alike anyway, so it really does not matter to me. I just feel it's not appropriate to call him Sunny if he's not Sun Conure. LOL.

And yes, he can scream, what a high pitch volume it is. He tends to do that only early in the morning when I came to feed, and only stops after 5 minutes; and in the afternoon when I came home from work and just before he sleeps, also stops after 5 minutes. The rest of the day he seldom makes any screaming - only if he saw me coming closer to his cage. Probably getting excited.

He got other voices too: the excited baby chirping, the low grunts when he talks to himself, or when he tries to have conversation with me, the medium pitch single exclamation "YES!" when he manages to climb up something. I want to reinforce those cute little noises instead of the high pitch voices. Any idea?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Ksuyen Well, you could always say its his 'sunny' disposition! LOL. But 12.5 weeks is WAY too early to know for sure.

@Flyboy LOL, too funny. I have a pair of noise cancellation headphones myself. I had to invest in heavy duty audio wire because a certain someone chewed through the regular wire that came with the headphones.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have a red lored amazon that doesn't tolerate screaming... and told those little screaming conures in no uncertain terms that THEY WERE GOING TO SHUT UP!

Seriously... nothing I did worked. MY BIRD, however, got right in their faces, and made it clear they were in for some serious feathered butt kicking if they kept that up.

Facts of life: Big bird little bird, ends badly for little bird. If you'd like me to demonstrate how, keep up the screaming.

THAT they paid immediate attention to.

It stopped! Immediately.

One of the most amazing things I ever saw!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hi all.

He is 12.5 weeks old, so it will be a long way before his plumage shows permanent colors. As for the species, Sun, Jenday and Sunday are all look alike anyway, so it really does not matter to me. I just feel it's not appropriate to call him Sunny if he's not Sun Conure. LOL.

And yes, he can scream, what a high pitch volume it is. He tends to do that only early in the morning when I came to feed, and only stops after 5 minutes; and in the afternoon when I came home from work and just before he sleeps, also stops after 5 minutes. The rest of the day he seldom makes any screaming - only if he saw me coming closer to his cage. Probably getting excited.

He got other voices too: the excited baby chirping, the low grunts when he talks to himself, or when he tries to have conversation with me, the medium pitch single exclamation "YES!" when he manages to climb up something. I want to reinforce those cute little noises instead of the high pitch voices. Any idea?

Yeah, the happy to see you screaming is normal.

The FIVE HOURS A DAY, NON STOP STUFF?! That needs to be dealt with immediately.

OP
ksuyen

ksuyen

Nov 3, 2015
Media
Parrots
Sun Conure
Quaker Parrot
Regarding the noise I am currently doing this training:
Mango: SCREAMS!
Me: ...
Mango: squawk/small noises
Me: MANGO!

It seems to work that he learns quickly if he's loud = I ignore him, if he's quiet = I call him. I am glad it's working so far.

Does anyone train their bird wearing flightsuit?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
IF dealt with quickly, it's very manageable. Skittles used to go on for hours the first few years I had him - but I was bowing to his every need and he got used to pulling my strings and seeing me react. Once I stopped doing that, set limits and boundaries and asserted myself as the leader of the flock, he became MUCH more obedient. Now, 90% of his screeching is to 'alert' me of something. (doorbell, knock on door, 'foreign' item in the area etc).

I've taught him patience and he's taught me it as well. Like in this video, he knows he's gonna get some juice but he doesn't pitch a fit about it.

[ame="https://youtu.be/rTcKGbIWRNc"]Skittles wants juice! - YouTube[/ame]

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Sounds to me like your breeder was.... Hmm.... How to put this nicely.... Ok I just won't even go there. Sloppy hybridizing that produces birds that could be mistaken for pure is a huge pet peeve of mine, BUT, your little baby, and all birdies regardless of breeder irresponsibility, is ADORABLE. I personally think Jendays are just as striking as Suns :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Any possible way to get a picture of the parents???? Cause Mango (Sunny?) looks like a sun to me.

Wouldn't be surprising though.... I've seen so many hybrids being sold as pure species, and pure species being called other species.... gold caps are called suns or jendays. Jendays being sold as suns. Very rarely, a sun might be called a jenday. Even more rare, a sun or jenday being called a gold cap.

Most Reactions