It’s Spring!!!!!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
It’s spring, and all of my parrots have decided that it’s time to molt, and be hormonal. Nico decided to regurgitate all over his cage (photos below) right after I just cleaned it yesterday. My one conure is mating with her toys. Luckily neither of the conures have bit me yet. It’ll happen it’s a matter of when.

Welcome to Spring everyone. It’s beautiful outside.

IMG_0144.jpeg
IMG_0145.jpeg
IMG_0146.jpeg
IMG_0143.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpeg
    IMG_0143.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 6

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It’s spring, and all of my parrots have decided that it’s time to molt, and be hormonal. Nico decided to regurgitate all over his cage (photos below) right after I just cleaned it yesterday. My one conure is mating with her toys. Luckily neither of the conures have bit me yet. It’ll happen it’s a matter of when.

View attachment 58221View attachment 58222View attachment 58223View attachment 58224

Awwwwwwww, how sweet of your flock to leave you such thoughtful gifts for Spring! Hope they don't leave you any Easter eggs though! ;):eek:

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

View attachment 58221View attachment 58222View attachment 58223View attachment 58224
How loud are your birds? According to my recent research conures and ekkies are some of the loudest parrots in the world both clearing over 100db. More info in my thread about the loudest parrots.

Down here in Australia it's Autumn now but it's been hotter than summer. Where I live it's been 2 weeks of 30+ degree temps with many days reaching 40 degrees. Lucky I'm on holiday and I've been able to keep my birds in the air conditioned indoors during the heat of the day.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
How loud are your birds? According to my recent research conures and ekkies are some of the loudest parrots in the world both clearing over 100db. More info in my thread about the loudest parrots.

Down here in Australia it's Autumn now but it's been hotter than summer. Where I live it's been 2 weeks of 30+ degree temps with many days reaching 40 degrees. Lucky I'm on holiday and I've been able to keep my birds in the air conditioned indoors during the heat of the day.
All of my parrots are loud when they scream. My conures are more consistent with their screaming. They scream in the morning, if anyone comes to the door, if the phone rings, if they hear the ring alarm, if a leaf that looks scary falls out of a tree. My Ekkie is significantly louder with his screams. They just aren’t very often. He screams if he wants something, and if something is loud. He loves car rides but if the radio is too loud he’ll start screaming. As bad as it sounds he doesn’t like loud noises… although he’s very loud when he screams. He really seems to thrive in a quiet, and calm environment. My conures are more adaptable there. They love to be in all of the excitement.

It’s been very weird here in Minnesota (United States) where I live. We only got 8 inches of snow the entire winter I believe? It was 50 degrees at times in January. February felt like spring here. I’ve lived here for many years, and can’t say I’ve ever experienced such a warm winter. Is the weather always that way in Australia? Or is that unusual too?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
All of my parrots are loud when they scream. My conures are more consistent with their screaming. They scream in the morning, if anyone comes to the door, if the phone rings, if they hear the ring alarm, if a leaf that looks scary falls out of a tree. My Ekkie is significantly louder with his screams. They just aren’t very often. He screams if he wants something, and if something is loud. He loves car rides but if the radio is too loud he’ll start screaming. As bad as it sounds he doesn’t like loud noises… although he’s very loud when he screams. He really seems to thrive in a quiet, and calm environment. My conures are more adaptable there. They love to be in all of the excitement.

It’s been very weird here in Minnesota (United States) where I live. We only got 8 inches of snow the entire winter I believe? It was 50 degrees at times in January. February felt like spring here. I’ve lived here for many years, and can’t say I’ve ever experienced such a warm winter. Is the weather always that way in Australia? Or is that unusual too?
I live in Brisbane and it's VERY pleasant here right now, though they have had some unseasonal heat wave conditions further south in places like Melbourne and Adelaide. It's much more consistent where I live, the nights will cool off but we'll still get temps in the high 70s to mid 80F range quite regularly until early May or so. "Winter" in Brisbane (or what passes for it) usually only lasts for about 8 or 10 weeks, daytime temps often hover in the high 60s and at night it can drop to the mid 40s, but it feels a LOT colder because a lot of older houses like mine just aren't built for it. AND we get a very cold westerly wind that blows in off the inland deserts in the winter too, and if you get caught out in THAT at night you REALLY know you're alive!! 🥶🥶🥶

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I live in Brisbane and it's VERY pleasant here right now, though they have had some unseasonal heat wave conditions further south in places like Melbourne and Adelaide. It's much more consistent where I live, the nights will cool off but we'll still get temps in the high 70s to mid 80F range quite regularly until early May or so. "Winter" in Brisbane (or what passes for it) usually only lasts for about 8 or 10 weeks, daytime temps often hover in the high 60s and at night it can drop to the mid 40s, but it feels a LOT colder because a lot of older houses like mine just aren't built for it. AND we get a very cold westerly wind that blows in off the inland deserts in the winter too, and if you get caught out in THAT at night you REALLY know you're alive!! 🥶🥶🥶
And to think I’m weirded out because we didn’t get enough snow in Minnesota, and it didn’t drop below zero as often as it should have this year 😂😂😂🤦‍♀️ I guess I’ve lived in this weather too long. I have expectations now.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels

This year in the southern states of Australia, where I'm from, its been the coolest summer I can remember. Now in March it's been hot but that's normal. January and February were well below average temps.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
unseasonal heat wave conditions further south in places like Melbourne and Adelaide
Melbourne is where Im from, its a dump now, we built that city my dads generation and mine and Daniel Andrews destroyed it, makes me sad. I defected to Tasmania for 2 years and now Adelaide is where iv lived last 2 years.

I wouldn't call this heat wave unseasonal. March is hot every year down here. It's a welcome because it's been the coolest summer I can remember down here in the southern states

And did I read you complaining about the cold? But aren't you from England? Go down to Melbourne or Hobart in the winter if you want a taste of some cold British-like weather 😉

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
THis year's humping season seems to be much stronger then the last 4 or 5 years. Salty has been so vocal, aggressive and well - hormonal. Poor thing, he so wants to get it on. But I keep repeating "THis Too Shall Pass".
Your responses on here can be so funny. I want to create a post that I’m looking for a quiet parrot, that listens, and doesn’t make messes. Then ask which one is best one to get…. just to see your response 😂😂😂

Most Reactions

Latest posts