I've decided... He's gotta have a better life.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
So glad to see Sammy in a new forever home, the OP's story was very similar to when my parents allowed me to raise a baby Jenday Conure when I was 12. Everything was great for a few year, then high school hit and suddenly I was always busy -- school, friends, boyfriend, swim practice, and my time home was not enough for him. I had to rehome him, too.

That's the reason I never recommend anyone under the age of 18-21 to get a bird. There's so much change going on in your life then and most students simply aren't prepared for the time-commitment.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Such a heartbreaking story, I feel for you and Sam both. I hope you find a good home for him, it would be awesome if it was Conniesmom or someone from this forum. Please keep us updated as I'm very interested in hearing a happy ending! :)

Conniesmommy

Nov 25, 2017
Spotsylvania, VA
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Sun Conure
The loving support on this thread and this forum in general has been so wonderful! GlitchTown and I ran into a bit of a "glitch" but, I think we've got it worked out. Just waiting for final word from his dad.
He's a really fun young man who loves Sammy very much. I have promised to let GlitchTown continue to be a part of Sammy's life and since we live about 6-7 hours apart, it's actually pretty "doable" for him to visit.
There's your current update and I'll continue to do so because, again, this would have never happened without you folks!!
PS - you all have some GORGEOUS bird babies!! WOW!!!

Last edited:

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
So mature of you. Just make sure he is gonna get lots of love and attention at his new home and when the day comes and you are ready to own another, it will be one lucky Parrot indeed, good luck to you x

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
Yes thank you ALL!!! This forum has been nothing but a huge help for my entire experience. If not for this forum, well, who knows what situation Sam would be in now... meeting conniesmommy is an event of complete fate it seems, me making that post just at the time she joined... It's meant to be! We've connected not only by the fids, but also ourselves

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
So how is Sammy doing in his new home???

(I swear this thread makes my eyes water every time I read it, it's so beautiful to see how life's challenges can lead to something wonderful)

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
So how is Sammy doing in his new home???

(I swear this thread makes my eyes water every time I read it, it's so beautiful to see how life's challenges can lead to something wonderful)
After a lot of challenge we have finally planned to meet up next Saturday half way :). So he will be going then! In the meantime, conniesmommy has ordered a travel cage and a blanket to be shipped to my house. But we are all planned! I'll have plenty more updates, and I'd imagine so too will conniesmommy!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so happy that things are working out! Glitchtown, I am thrilled for you that you have found a wonderful home for Sammy.
Looking forward to pictures when Sammy makes it to his new home, Conniesmommy!
Wishing y'all safe travels and I can't wait for the updates from you both:)

Conniesmommy

Nov 25, 2017
Spotsylvania, VA
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Sun Conure
I sincerely appreciate the outpouring of love and support from you all as we work through all the steps of this amazing adoption. My husband and I are not only excited about the adoption and picking Sammy up this weekend but also about "meeting" GlitchTown and his father. It's going to be a rough transition for both of those gentlemen. It's obvious they both love Sammy very much!

The excitement of knowing Sammy will be joining our family is enhanced because our sweet Connie has made some incredible progress this past week too! Our ornery Blue Crown had been locked up most of the past 8 or so years of her 13 years of life, not being allowed to get out of her cage at all. We adopted her in July with a few reservations and not knowing if we'd ever get this beast to bond with us. From the second we finally made the decision to bring her home, I think I lost my heart and mind. LOL

I have a facebook friend with TONS of rescue experience guiding me through who has been an amazing source of information and support. Now, I know we've made a few mistakes but, overall, this little screechy beast adores me and is seriously warming up to my husband. (She's got a bit of an anti-men attitude so that is unexpected and awesome)

While our progress with Connie has seemed to take forever, right now, looking back at how far we've come since we brought her home, I see a stubborn but very loving green beast starting to step up on command (not all the time but, more often), climb up to the top of her cage, ride around on Mommy's shoulder for an hour or so, give kisses and cuddles, purr, hold onto the collar on my shirt and flap her wings as we "fly" around the room together........so much!!!

And, yesterday, for the second time in two days, when she decided she had enough hooman time, she flew like an expert from my shoulder to her cage - beautiful height, flight path, navigation and pre-landing hover. I sincerely wanted to cry because I was so very proud of her. I've had other pets I've loved dearly but I don't think I've ever loved one like this.

So, that will keep you all "in the loop" for the moment as you wait anxiously from the sidelines as this adoption proceeds.

I'm struggling to post a photo of Connie here at the moment. Once I figure it out, I'll share my beautiful beast with you all.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Sounds like you are making wonderful progress with Connie! Looking forward to those pictures!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
While the next chapter of Sammy's life awaits, this is a redeeming story of social media!

Conniesmommy

Nov 25, 2017
Spotsylvania, VA
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Sun Conure
Whew!!! I THINK I have this figured out.

Meet Connie!!! (AKA Razor Beak according to my Hubby) LOL

Attachments

• 22308954_10212959948047220_8240098579400050357_n.jpg
    22308954_10212959948047220_8240098579400050357_n.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 133
  • 20108356_224161121439465_2926506631176210154_n.jpg
    20108356_224161121439465_2926506631176210154_n.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 22894236_10213125242459477_5514855276089130889_n.jpg
    22894236_10213125242459477_5514855276089130889_n.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 23795217_10213275697500759_3823083245099997032_n.jpg
    23795217_10213275697500759_3823083245099997032_n.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 100

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
Looks like Connie's thriving in his new home!

This really gives me hope, that if something unexpected happens there are are good homes for parrots out there.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
I can't tell who looks happier about the situation... The two humans who have a loving new friend named Connie, or the little conure who finally has humans worthy of all the love (and chewing). :)

Thanks for sharing the pictures!!! (I love the pirate outfit!!)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
This is a such a fantastic story.

I must commend the OP for their maturity and insight and doing what is best for their fid first.

I must also commend Connie for agreeing to be a forever home. It sure sounds like it was fate. I've experienced it myself when I got my Skittles. I was never a believer in fate until I got my Skittles. Now, given how he and I came to be, there is just far too many coincidences that it can't be explained any other way.

I'm sending lots of good vibes your way!

We need more stories like this with endings like this. With so much negativity and evil in the world, its heartening to find such a beautiful story come to be.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Connie is beautiful!! I'm so thrilled that Sammy is joining such a wonderful family:)
I LOVE your costume!!

Conniesmommy

Nov 25, 2017
Spotsylvania, VA
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure
Sun Conure
Funny thing about the Halloween costume is that I didn't even think about how appropriate it was until the end of the day. I just needed a costume, a friend loaned me a few to choose from, I went with the one that felt the most fun and had a BLAST at work that day.

When I got home, I realized every pirate needs a parrot. Since she doesn't step up on command regularly as of yet, I just stood by her door to make it look like she was on my shoulder. Can you guess what happened next?

Yep, my little green beast grabbed my big hoop earring first with her beak and then with her foot. LOL - Let me remind you that I'm still pretty new to being a parront and my bird mentor had just been badly bitten on the lip by her amazon sooooooo, I was a bit alarmed for a few seconds.

Right now my little devil is screeching at me while I type and I wouldn't have it any other way! Oh, and Hubby just reminded me that the decibels will be doubled in a couple of days.........oh, what an adventure we are in for...........

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Great story! Looking forward to the happy ending:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts